Want to turn $100 into $1,000?
There are many ways to do this including:
- Side hustles
- Starting a small biz
- Turning a hobby into a money making business
- and more!
Here are 10 ways to turn $100 into $1,000 or more.
#1 Start a business
Many businesses start with an idea and cash.
While brick and mortars typically take a lot of money to get started, you can start a business of your own online with little money.
I started this blog with just a couple hundred bucks to get a website design set up and hosting. Now it’s my full-time job and I get to work from home.
Here are some great small business ideas:
- Sell printables – #1 recommended side hustle for people looking for a low-stress way to earn passive income from home.
- Pinterest Virtual Assistant – Help businesses shine on Pinterest as a Pinterest manager. Create your own schedule, work for yourself, and work from anywhere in the world.
- Sell dog treats – Make up to $2,500 a month selling dog treats with this fun side hustle perfect for people who love dogs.
- Proofreading – Earn $20+ an hour proofreading from home. Be your own boss and set your own schedule.
- Surveys – Make money for answering simple questions. You can take as many surveys as you want and earn up to $5 per survey.
- Bookkeeping – Start your own virtual bookkeeping business and earn up to $80,000 a year from home.
Another great example is my friend Megan, a Pinterest Virtual Assistant who created a business around Pinterest marketing. After taking a Pinterest VA course, she’s now a Pinterest Virtual Assistant that helps businesses thrive on Pinterest.
Another great example is turning your hobby into a business. My childhood friend Chelsea creates beautiful macrame home decor pieces. I recently bought a Christmas wreath from her and it’s one of my favorite purchases ever.
#2 Use a high-yield savings account
Where do you store your emergency fund or savings you need quick access to?
If it’s in a savings account at your local bank, check your savings rate. Most banks offer lousy savings rates that give just pennies back every year.
This is why I recommend banks like Ally Bank or Marcus.
I store my emergency fund inside a Marcus Savings Account. At the time of this writing, I’m getting 4%APY in my savings account.
Savings rates frequently change because of the federal government, which you can learn more about here if you’re curious.
Whatever you decide to do, if you’re going to have money sitting in a savings account, make sure you’re getting the best savings rate.
#3 Invest in yourself
There are so many ways to invest in yourself that can increase your wealth and help you earn more money.
Earlier this year, I invested in a life coach who helped me completely transform my life.
We met for 45 minutes a week and talked through any problems I had related to relationships, my business, and life in general.
By creating solutions to my problems, I focused less time on these things and had brain juice for running my business.
You can invest in yourself by:
- Getting a life coach (I recommend The Life Coach School)
- Investing in your health (I did this by getting a Peloton)
- Taking 10 minutes a day to focus on self-care
You can build wealth just by improving your physical and mental well-being. When you invest time in yourself, you’re increasing confidence, happiness, and you show up in life so much better.
#4 Invest in a 401(k) or IRA
One of the easiest ways to turn $100 into $1,000 is by investing your money in a 401(k) or IRA.
Investing is a must if you want a stable and wealthy retirement. And the earlier you start, the better. This is why it’s important to start investing today, even if you don’t have much money to get started.
If you need help learning how to invest for retirement, I have a few resources I personally use and recommend.
I highly recommend taking @personalfinanceclub’s course called How To Build Wealth by Investing in Index Funds. I finished it last month and it makes investing for retirement so simple and easy.
It’s an affordable course that pays for itself again and again. If you’re putting off investing, you’re losing the impact of compound interest. If you don’t know what that is, you need to take this course.
#5 Pay credit card debt
Paying off credit card debt can save you a ton of money. This is because most credit card interest rates and loan rates are high. When you pay off debt, you get rid of those interest rates.
If your goal is to pay off debt and start building wealth ASAP, there are a few methods to do this.
First, we need to know the different methods of paying off debt. The most common methods are the avalanche method and the snowball method.
The avalanche method works by you paying off your highest interest rate debt first.
Then you go to your second highest interest rate debt and so on. The snowball method works by paying off the credit card with the smallest balance and working your way up from there.
Let’s look at an example of Mary’s debt.
- Debt 1 (personal loan): $3,000 at 9% interest rate
- Debt 2 (student loan): $8,000 at 7% interest rate
- Debt 3 (credit card): $5,000 at 24% interest rate
Mary would want to pay off her debt in this order if she was using the avalanche method: Debt 3, Debt 1, then Debt 2.
If Mary wanted to use the snowball method, she’d start with the smallest balance, so it would also look like: Debt 1, Debt 3, then Debt 2. If you struggle with staying motivated, I recommend using the snowball method.
If you want to save the most money on interest over time, use the avalanche method. The avalanche method is paying off the highest interest rate debts first.
Related article: 7-Step Guide To Paying Off Credit Card Debt
#6 Enroll in a course
Courses can teach you skills that help you earn extra money or even start an entirely new career.
I’ve taken several courses to learn how to blog, and the most recent course taught me how to make $1,000/month in passive income.
Instead of going back to school to learn a new skillset, you can take a course online for a fraction of the cost.
Courses to enroll in to earn extra money:
- Free Course: How To Start A Profitable Amazon Business
- Flipper University [Flip Items Found At Flea Markets or Garage Sales For Profit]
- Free training: How To Build A Six-Figure Writing Career
- Facebook Side Hustle Course [Learn How To Become A Facebook Ads Manager]
Related article: 11 Free Courses To Learn How To Make More Money
#7 Buy and sell
Did you know you can make money by buying items and reselling them? You can earn even more money by fixing up an item and restoring it to a higher quality item.
Here’s an example of an item you can flip. My friend Melissa bought this item for $50 and sold it for $500.
She found this item when she was on a road trip with her husband and kids. This item basically paid for her vacation.
I think it’s so awesome and inspiring seeing people take a few bucks and turn it into hundreds of dollars. I have a friend in my personal life who does this, but with furniture.
She buys cheap furniture, fixes up the upholstery, and makes hundreds of dollars in profit.
If you want to learn how to buy and resell items for profit, Flipper University is an affordable way to learn how to create a profitable selling business in less than 14 days.
The creators of this course created a side hustle that made them $42,000 their first year of side hustling and now make them over $133,00 a year.
Related article: How I Make A Full-Time Income Flipping Items
#8 Turn your hobby into a business
Many of us never even think about using our hobbies as a way to make money, but it’s a great way to earn cash!
You can turn your passion into a part-time or full-time career. Pretty amazing and a ton of people are doing it.
My friend turned her macrame hobby into a small business shop on Etsy.
She sells homemade macrame items that she makes in her free time and sells them online. I personally supported her business by purchasing a Christmas wreath. I love it!
Hobbies that can turn into a business:
- Crochet, Knit, or Macrame designs and sell items online
- Blog about a hobby and help others get started
- Create a course about a hobby and teach people how to do it step-by-step
- Turn your writing hobby into a freelancing career
- Creating graphics and selling them on Etsy
Related article: 20 Best Hobbies That Can Also Make You Money
#9 Set up automatic transfers
Create a set-it-and-forget-it strategy by automating your savings.
You can do this by setting up automatic transfers to go from your checking account to your savings account or investment account.
This is ideal for people who want to “pay themselves first” on payday. Instead of manually putting money into savings, it’s done automatically so you don’t even think about it.
Once you create a budget, you’ll have a general idea of how much money is leftover that can be put into savings.
If you don’t have any money left over, this is time to reduce expenses and learn how to save money.
Set up an automatic transfer with the leftover amount biweekly or monthly. If you save $500 a month, that’s $6,000 in 1 year. That’s enough to max out an IRA account in 2020!
Setting up automatic transfers is unique to each bank and investment account. Some accounts let you do this online via dashboard or you have to contact a bank teller or customer support representative to set it up.
Most banks and investment accounts will have information about this in the settings area.
I learned this method in 2 different books that I recommend reading: 1) The Automatic Millionaire and 2) I Will Teach You To Be Rich. Both books have great lessons about paying off debt and building wealth in the long-term.
#10 Start a blog
I created this blog and made over $80,000 in my senior year of college (that’s me in my first major feature by Forbes!).
If you’re wondering how I make money on this blog, it comes from:
- Affiliate marketing (someone clicks on my affiliate link and I get a commission)
- Sponsored posts
- Selling my own products (like my online course)
If you want to start a website but have questions like:
- What should my blog be about?
- How do I know what to write about?
- How soon can I start making money?
This free training teaches you how to create an income-producing website. You also learn the key mistakes to avoid if you’re a beginner.
There are so many ways to turn $100 into $1,000.
The next time you look at your bank account and see any amount of money, think about how you can turn it into much more than that.
Don’t forget to sign up for the free resource library and get exclusive access to free printables & planners related to saving and making money, meal planning, and more!
What are some other ways to turn $100 into $1,000?
Best side hustles (making $1,000+/month)
- Sell printables on Etsy – Selling printables is the #1 side hustle to make money. This can be done on your own schedule and turn into passive income! You can earn over $10,000 a year selling printables.
- Sell dog treats – Make $1,000+ selling dog treats from the comfort of your home. Be your own boss and make your own schedule.
- Proofreading – Earn $20+ an hour proofreading from home. Great for people who enjoy editing and working from a computer.
Free Printable Library
Join 20,000 others and get access to free printables related to achieving financial freedom, starting a side hustle, and other fun goodies!