You’ve likely heard of Door Dash by now, but if you haven’t, here’s a quick summary.
Door Dash is a popular food delivery service that is popular among side hustlers because of the:
- flexible hours
- ability to set your own schedule
In this article we’ll go over:
- How to sign up for Door Dash
- Requirements necessary to work for Door Dash
- How to maximize earnings
- and more!
What is Door Dash?
Door Dash is a food delivery service that operates in cities across the U.S.
Door Dash is popular among side hustlers because it’s an effective way to make money in your spare time.
To make the most money with Door Dash, you need to find out where the busy areas are and the peak hours, so you can increase your earnings.
It’s also important to understand how to effectively manage your time so you can get the most deliveries done.
How to get started with Door Dash
Now is the time to:
- Download the Door Dash app and create an account.
- Complete the registration process and background check.
- Once that is completed, you can start accepting Door Dash delivery orders.
You’ll be notified of deliveries in your area as well as how much the potential payout is for each delivery.
Pay typically ranges from $2-$10 per delivery as base pay. You can also earn tips and additional “peak pay” during busy hours.
As a potential Door Dash driver, there are a few requirements that you need to meet:
- At least 18 years old
- Possess a valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Own a car, motorcycle, or bicycle
- Valid car insurance
- Smartphone like iPhone or Android
- Pass background process
Applying to become a Door Dash driver is a straightforward process:
- Go to DoorDash driver sign up page and create an account using your email address.
- Complete the application form by providing your name, address, phone number, and vehicle information.
- Review the Door Dash driver agreement and consent to a background check. The check will take account of your criminal history and driving record.
- Once your background check is cleared, you’ll receive an activation kit, which includes essential items like a Red Card (for payment), hot bag (for carrying food), and a Door Dash sticker for your vehicle.
- Download the Door Dash app on your smartphone (iPhone or Android).
- Log in to the app, complete the orientation, and start accepting delivery orders.
How to maximize earnings with Door Dash
Making the most money possible with DoorDash requires a strategic approach.
To make the most money with DoorDash, do the following.
Work during peak hours, which is usually mealtimes and weekends. Specifically lunchtime (11am-2pm) and dinner (5:30pm-8:30pm). DoorDash frequently offers peak pay promotion during these hours.
Weekends will typically see higher demand for deliveries.
Work in areas with a high number of restaurants, which will increase the chances of receiving multiple delivery requests in a short amount of time.
If possible, choose areas with little traffic and easy parking to save time.
Work for more than one delivery app
To increase your chances of making $500 a week, consider using other delivery apps like Uber Eats and Instacart.
This will lead to more deliveries, more money, in a shorter amount of time.
You’ll even get to pick the best deliveries (most money/short amount of time) since you’re working for multiple apps.
Promotions and bonuses
Door Dash often has promotions and bonuses when you work during peak hours depending on the location.
More tips for maximizing earnings:
- Set earning goals you want to hit, like $500 in one week
- Maintain a reasonable acceptance rate, which will lead to higher visible in the algorithm
- Have great customer service for potential for higher tips
- Plan routes to minimize driving time between deliveries
- Group orders from same or nearby restaurants to improve efficiency
- Set yourself up near popular restaurants that a lot of people buy food from
- Deliver to office buildings and busy workplaces (often higher tips)
- Use a fuel efficient vehicle if possible
Accepting Group Orders
To maximize your earnings and make $500 a week with Door Dash, accept group or batched orders.
Batched orders are more than 1 delivery combined into one trip, which will save time and increase your side hustle income.
Prioritize these orders especially during peak times like lunch time or dinner time.
Maintaining Customer Service and Ratings
Having excellent customer service is key for working at Door Dash. When customer are happy and satisfied, they’re more likely to tip and give you a high rating.
Maintain communication with customers and provide delivery updates. Care for their food responsibly and deliver within the estimated time.
And of course, always be friendly and professional.
As you gain more experience as a Dash driver, you’ll learn how to plan efficient routes. Doing this is going to help you save time, decrease expenses, and make more deliveries.
Focus your routes in high demand areas which is typically around popular restaurants and residential areas.
It’s important to use a GPS to optimize your route and avoid traffic.
As a Door Dash driver, you need to manage your expenses, especially if you have a goal of making $500/week.
These expenses include:
One of your top expenses for working as a Dash driver is fuel. It’s important to do what you can to save money on gas.
Here are my best gas saving tips:
- Find the cheapest gas in your area by using a gas price comparison app like GasBuddy or Waze
- Sign up for loyalty programs to get discounts
- Get gas at places like Costco and Sam’s Club if you have a membership
- Maintain proper tire pressure so you vehicle is running efficiently
- Consider using a bike for your deliveries to cut fuel cost altogether
If you’re driving a vehicle for Door Dash deliveries, you’ll have to regularly check your vehicles condition, including tires, brakes, and oil.
Maintaining your car and taking care of it properly helps reduce overall vehicle costs in the long run.
Insurance and Taxes
Make sure you’re aware of your insurance requirements and any potential tax deductions, such as mileage or phone expenses related to your Door Dash side hustle.
Best tips for saving money on car insurance:
- Compare quotes from different insurance agencies
- Bundle policies for a cheaper rate (other policies would be like home insurance, disability insurance, etc.)
- Maintain a clean driving record for the best policy price
- Vehicles with high safety ratings get better insurance rates
- Sign up for good driver discounts, good student discounts, military discounts, etc
Benefits for working as a DoorDash driver
Working as a Door Dash driver offers several benefits. So if you’re looking for a side hustle, this might be for you.
Here are the main benefits of working for DoorDash.
You get to choose your own hours and work on a schedule that works for your lifestyle. This is a great side hustle for people who already have a part-time or full-time job or other commitments.
Making extra income comes in handy for people wanting to pay off debt, pay bills, or anyone who wants to supplement their main form of income.
Easy to start
You don’t need any special skills or experience to work for Door Dash.
You have the ability to choose when and where you work without direct supervision.
DoorDash offers a feature called “Fast Pay” that allows you to access earnings immediately.
Tips and bonuses
On top of base pay, you can also earn tips and bonuses.
Choose where you work
You get to decide where you want to work and focus on locations that are convenient for you.
Do not need a vehicle
Some areas allow you to deliver using a bike, scooter, or even on foot.
As an independent contractor, you may be eligible to recut mileage and other expenses related to work as a Door Dash delivery driver when filing taxes.
User friendly app
The Door Dash app is easy to use and everything can be done there. You can accept orders, navigate to delivery locations, and manage earnings all in one place
Work temporarily or long-term
You get to decide how long or how often you want to work for Door Dash.
Alternative Earnings Opportunities
Selling printables is the #1 side hustle to make money. This can be done on your own schedule and turn into passive income! You can earn over $10,000 a year selling printables.
Use ChatGPT to create game content to sell on Etsy using the free version of Canva and free version of ChatGPT. Course is created by a top 1% seller on Etsy.
Make $1,000+ selling dog treats from the comfort of your home. Be your own boss and make your own schedule.
Earn $20+ an hour proofreading from home. Great for people who enjoy editing and working from a computer.
Make money filling out surveys. You can take as many surveys as you want and earn up to $5 per survey.
Door Dash is a great side hustle for people wanting a flexible job. You get to create your own schedule and work as little or as much as you want.
This is the perfect side hustle for someone who already has a part-time or full-time job and wants to earn extra income, or someone who already has time commitments (like being a parent) and can only work certain hours of the day when the kids are at school.
Related side hustle articles:
- How To Make Money With A Truck
- Best Part Time Jobs For Introverts
- How To Make Money Posting Ads
- How To Sell Houseplants From Home
Free Printable Library
Join 20,000 others and get access to free printables related to achieving financial freedom, starting a side hustle, and other fun goodies!
Alexis Schroeder is the CEO and founder of FITnancials.
With budgeting and side hustles, Alexis paid off over $40,000 of debt and made over $100,000 in side hustles in college.
Since starting this website over 10 years ago, Fitnancials has reached over 3,000,000 readers. We’ve been featured on sites like Forbes, Yahoo, Side Hustle School, GOBankingRates, Mint, and many more.
If you want to contact Alexis, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.