If you’re a pickup truck owner, you may be surprised to hear there are many ways to make extra money with your vehicle.
Whether you want to pay off student loans, save for an emergency fund, or have extra money for an upcoming vacation, these side hustles are a a great way to make extra money.
Here is a list of the best ways to turn your pickup truck into a side hustling machine.
Let’s start off with delivery services, which is the most popular method for making money with a pickup truck.
This side hustle offers flexible hours so you can do this on your own schedule and work as little or as much as you want.
This section focuses on Amazon Flex, food delivery apps, grocery delivery services, and more.
Amazon Flex is a program that pays people to delivery packages for Amazon. You use your own vehicle to deliver Amazon Prime, Amazon Fresh, and Amazon.com orders.
This side hustle is flexible so you can choose blocks of time that fit your schedule the best. This means you can work in your free time and potentially make a lot of money without a ton of hard work.
The pay is between $18-$25 per hour.
Pay is dependent on factors such as:
- Your location
- Any tips you receive
- How long it takes to complete your deliveries
Amazon Flex pays in hourly blocks. This means once you schedule a block, they’ll tell you how long it’ll take and how much you can earn.
To apply for Amazon Flex in the United States, you need:
- Valid driver’s license
- Mid-size or larger vehicle
- iPhone or Android smartphone
- Must be 21 years or older
- Eligible to work in the U.S.
- Auto insurance
If you meet these requirements, sign up for Amazon Flex, go to Let’s Drive and signup by using your existing Amazon account (or create a new account if you don’t have one already).
Food Delivery Apps
Make use of your pickup truck or regular-sized vehicle by delivering food.
The most popular delivery apps include:
Your job is to pick up orders from restaurants and deliver them to customers.
How much you get paid depends on factors such as location, delivery volume, and more. You may even want to sign up with multiple apps to maximize your delivery jobs.
Food delivery apps have minimum requirements in order to delivery food, which may include:
- Valid drivers license
- Auto insurance
You can even use a scooter or bike to delivery food with certain delivery apps.
Benefits of working for a food delivery app:
- You can accept or reject orders
- Get paid more for working during busy hours
- Get paid day of work with a small fee (depending on the app)
These apps people pay to shop for groceries and deliver the groceries to customers.
Benefits of delivering groceries for these apps include:
- Set your own schedule
- Work as little or as much as you want
- Be your own boss
Delivery apps have minimum requirements such as:
- At least 18 years old
- Valid U.S. drivers license
- Auto insurance
- Vehicle that is 1997 or sooner and reliable
- Ability to lift 40 pounts
- iPhone or Android
CitizenShipper is a website that connects people who need larger items delivered, such as furniture, vehicles, and sometimes even pets.
Pickup trucks are great for this side hustle because you have a lot of space for all types of cargo.
Benefits of CitizenShipper include:
- Set your own hours
- Set your own rates
- Choose the jobs that suit your preferences
To get started, create a profile on CitizenShipper so you can start making good money with your pickup truck today.
Hauling and Moving Services
Your pickup truck likely has a ton of space, meaning you can make extra money offering hauling and moving services.
A lot of people don’t have a truck which makes your vehicle a valuable asset for moving larger items.
Independent Moving Service
Make money with your truck by offering moving services.
To start out, you can offer your services to friends, family, neighbors, students moving to college, and more. You can even post ads on sites like Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist.
You can set your own rates and make sure that the moving process is safe and efficient for you, your truck, and your customers.
Dolly is a website that connects individuals who need help moving with truck owners.
You can use your truck, SUV with trailer, or even work as an assistant for a Dolly driver.
Once you’re approved to work for Dolly, you can start accepting jobs and making money with each task. Dolly drivers who own a qualified vehicle and can lift up to 75 pounds make an average of $50 per hour.
Dolly assistants to drivers who can lift up to 75 pounds make an average of $35 per hour. Dolly pays twice a week via PayPal and you get to keep 100% of your customers tips.
Requirements to work as Dolly Assistant (just moving, not using your truck) include:
- At least 18 years old
- iPhone or Android
- Ability to pay for and pass a background check
If you’re also using your truck for Dolly, requirements include:
- Valid U.S. drivers license
- Auto insurance
- Proof that you own the car and are an insured
- Willing to lift 75 pounds
LoadUp is a junk hauling service where you’re responsible for picking up and properly disposing things.
Besides disposing of items, LoadUp employees also get paid for:
- Residential and business junk removal
- Product assembly
- Fully property clean outs
- Collect items and donate to charities or recycling centers
One of the most important parts of this job is properly disposing of items you pick up. You must follow waste management regulations.
LoadUp employees can choose how many jobs they want per day. For example, their website shows a daily earning of $195/day if you do between 2-4 jobs. That is roughly $4,680/month if you work 24 days a month.
LoadUp is recommended by side hustlers because you don’t have to waste time with leads. Instead, you get sent jobs in real time and you’ll know what your earnings are upfront.
Towing and Snow Plowing
Besides food delivery apps and moving large items, you can also use your pickup truck for towing and snow plowing services in the winter months.
You can work as an independent contractor and work with local businesses.
You can make money with a pickup truck by offering a towing service.
First, you’ll need to get certain equipment such as a towing hitch, tow straps, and safety chains. You may even want to invest in a trailer for larger towing jobs.
Word of mouth goes a long way, so make sure you provide excellent customer service and build a great reputation in your community.
Offer competitive providing and flexible scheduling to truly stand out.
Snow Plowing Services
If it snows where you live, you may want to consider offering snow plowing services.
This may only be a seasonal business, but it may be worth it and provide substantial income in the winter.
Your truck will need a slow plow attachment. This is where you’ll want to do some research to see which snow plow is best suited for your needs.
You will also want to consider investing in safety gear such as high-visibility jackets and LED warning lights for when you’re out in snowy conditions.
Spread the word of your snow plowing service to local residences and businesses, as well as community centers. You can offer one time packages, monthly or even seasonal contracts.
Renting Out Your Truck
Yep, you can even rent out your truck to earn extra money.
Platforms like Turo make it possible to turn your truck into an extra source of income.
Turo is one of the most popular platforms for renting out a vehicle.
Benefits of sharing your car on Turo include:
- $750,000 liability insurance included
- Instant access to prescreened customer base
- Marketing and advertising support for your vehicle(s) from Turo
- Access to 24/7 support and roadside assistance for your guests
- User-friendly app so you can set prices and accept bookings easily
To increase earnings, make sure you:
- Keep your truck clean and well-maintained
- Take high quality photos of your vehicle
- Be quick to respond to potential renters
You can also list a truck on Fetch, which is a platform that focuses on renting out trucks and vans.
You have the freedom to set your own rates with the recommendation of $10-$25 per hour or a daily rate of $50-$150.
Advertising and Truck Wrapping
A unique way to earn extra money is via advertising and truck wrapping. Yes, you can get paid while driving around just by advertising a certain brand on your vehicle.
Wrapify is a way to earn extra money by wrapping your vehicle with branding materials.
To get started, download the Wrapify app and create an account. Sign up to become a driver and complete a few on-boarding steps. When campaigns are available in your area, you’ll see offers in the app.
Wrapify pays for the installation of the wrap on your vehicle once you are matched with a brand. Then, you’ll just start driving around like you normally do.
How much you get paid depends on the size of the wrap, time spent in high traffic areas, and how many miles you drive.
You can make up to $500 per month doing this.
Another platform similar to Wrapify is Carvertise.
Carvertise connects drivers with advertises to display ads on your vehicle.
To get started, apply on the website and provide information about your daily driving habits, location, and vehicle type. Once you’re accepted and matched with an advertiser, Carvertise will arrange for your truck to get wrapped.
You can earn up to $500 a month with Carvertise depending on the time you spend in high traffic areas.
Landscaping and Yard Care Services
You can even start a lawn care business with a pickup truck.
You can offer landscaping services such as:
- Moving lawns
- Trimming hedges
- Fertilizing plants
Your truck comes in handy for carrying bulky equipment and debris, and even plants or fertilizer.
Mulch and Gravel Delivery
Another side hustle idea is offering mulch and gravel delivery with your pickup truck.
Homeowners need these kinds of materials but may not have the vehicle to get them. With your pickup truck, you can purchase mulch or gravel in bulk and charge a delivery fee.
As always, remember to be friendly and have good customer service because this helps with word of mouth, which is one of the most successful ways to grow a small business.
Miscellaneous Services and Side Hustles
In this section, we’ll learn about other side hustles you can take advantage of with your pickup truck.
Gig Economy Apps
TaskRabbit is an app that connects customers with people who can complete house tasks and errands.
This app connects you with customers who need help with furniture assembly, moving, and even handyman services.
Scrap Metal Recycling
Use your pickup truck to pick up junk removal and sell it to recycling facilities.
Doing this puts some extra cash in your pocket and also contributes to a healthier environment.
Make sure to educate yourself on the different types of metals and their current market prices.
How To Make Money With A Truck – Common FAQ
What are the best ways to make money with my truck?
Pickup truck owners can start their own small businesses with their truck.
The best ways to make extra money with a truck is by working as:
- moving company
- hauling services
- providing snow plowing services
- renting out your truck.
How do I find jobs or clients for my truck services?
- Reach out to local businesses and leave your business card
- Have a social media presence
- Provide great service to your customers is an excellent way to get new customers (word of mouth is huge!)
- Once you have an established business, consider a billboard (if you provide those services)
How can I maintain and and care for my truck to ensure reliability?
Proper maintenance and care for your car are essential to ensure its longevity, performance, and safety.
Here’s a list of the best tips on how to maintain and care for your car:
- Regularly check engine oil, transmission fluid, coolant, and brake fluid
- Keep tires properly inflated
- Once a warning light appears, tend to it ASAP
- Follow cars maintenance schedule
- Keep emergency equipment in car like spare tire, jack, and jumper cables
By following these maintenance and care tips, you can ensure your car remains reliable, safe, and in good condition for years to come. Regular maintenance not only extends the life of your vehicle but also saves you money on costly repairs in the long run.
What are the risks and challenges of operating a truck business?
Whether you own a towing company or moving business, you want to be aware of potential challenges, such as competition, seasonal fluctuations, and safety concerns.
Here are some risks and challenges to be aware of:
- Economic factors such as fluctuating fuel prices
- Trucking industry is subject to strict regulations concerning safety and environmental standards
- Truck costs like maintenance costs such as unexpected breakdowns or repairs
- Insurance costs to protect assets
- Long hours depending on the type of trucking job you’re doing (long distance moving, snow plowing, etc.)
A well-prepared and proactive approach can help your trucking business thrive despite these challenges.
How can I expand my truck business over time?
Expanding a trucking business over time requires careful planning, strategic decision-making, and a focus on both operational and financial aspects.
Here are steps to help you grow your trucking business:
- Increase fleet size to handle increased demand
- Diversify services and explore different types of trucking services such as long-haul, regional, or specialized transporation
- Expand service areas by targeting new cities
- Invest in technology to streamline operations and improve communications
- Upgrade equipment and use more fuel-efficient trucks and trailers to reduce operating costs
Starting or operating a truck-based business can be a profitable endeavor, but it requires careful planning, knowledge of the industry, and attention to legal and logistical details.
By exploring these miscellaneous services and side hustles, you can make the most of your pickup truck and create lucrative work opportunities for yourself.
If you have spare time or want a full-time job, using your pickup truck for extra cash may be for you.
Best side hustles right now:
- Sell printables on Etsy – Selling printables is the #1 side hustle to make money. This can be done on your own schedule and turn into extra income! You can earn over $10,000 a year selling printables.
- Sell dog treats – Make $1,000+ selling dog treats from the comfort of your home. Be your own boss and make your own schedule.
- Proofreading – Earn $20+ an hour proofreading from home. Great for people who enjoy editing and working from a computer.
- Surveys – Make money filling out surveys. You can take as many surveys as you want and earn up to $5 per survey.
Free Printable Library
Join 20,000 others and get access to free printables related to achieving financial freedom, starting a side hustle, and other fun goodies!