Below is a post from my sister at Making Sense of Cents. Enjoy!
When I first graduated from college, I was very stressed out about my student loans. I had already been living on my own for several years and working full-time, but I made the mistake of not paying off my student loans in any manner whatsoever.
When I finally graduated from college, I received a letter from Sallie Mae stating how much I would owe each month.
The amount shocked me, and I couldn’t believe it. I knew at that very moment that I needed to pay off my student loans quickly.
I didn’t want to be paying off hundreds of dollars in student loans for the next couple of decades – I knew that just wasn’t for me.
So, I went on a mission. I took the actions below, and I was able to pay off my student loans within seven months of creating my plan. You can do it too!
Read this if you’re a parent (or will be one day)
A 529 College Savings Plan makes it easy to start saving for your child’s future college education. The plan grows tax-free and can be withdrawn taxa-free – just like a retirement plan for college.
Create a debt payoff plan
After you have come to the realization about how much student loan debt you have, you will want to figure out how much you should attempt to pay each month so that you can pay off your student loan debt early.
If you want to pay off your student loans fast, you will most likely have to pay more than just the minimum payment each month.
While it may seem complicated, if you can put double, triple, or even more towards your student loans each month, then you may be able to drastically cut down on the interest you are paying and the term of your student loans.
Eliminate high-interest rate student loan debt
If you want to save the most money and pay off your student loans the quickest, then paying off your student loans from the largest interest rate to the lowest makes the most sense.
Another option is refinancing your student loans to get a locked in lower interest rate.
Here are some of the options that may be available to you:
- Pay off loans faster
- Reduce your monthly payment
- Reduce interest charges and monthly payment
- Relieve your co-signer of their obligations
You can get started with Credible here. Sign up takes less than 5 minutes.
Related: Use Ibotta if you’re trying to save money on groceries (even fruits and veggies!) as well as hundreds of other products at any major store. Get $10 for signing up here.If you’re downloading Ibotta on your phone, the app will ask if you have a referral code. Use my referral code: lwyxxrb and you’ll get $10 for signing up.
Cut your budget
The next thing you will want to look at is your budget.
Are there any expenses that you can cut out so that you can put more money towards your student loans each month?
Even if you are only able to cut out $50 a month, that’s $600 more each year for your student loans.
That could be an extra few payments that you can make!
Some things that you may want to look at in your budget include:
- Your entertainment spending. How much are you spending on the movies, on going out for drinks, and so on?
- Your coffee spending. While everyone brings this up when it comes to cutting your budget, small expenses like a $3 or $3 coffee can quickly add up.
- Your memberships or subscriptions. If you are a member or subscribe to anything such as a gym membership, cable, and so on, you may want to evaluate whether or not those expenses are worthwhile to you.
Put small amounts towards your student loans
Putting small amounts towards your student loans can make a significant impact over time.
If you can sell an item for just $25 or if you manage to find an extra $20 in your budget, then putting it towards your student loans is much better than spending it carelessly each month.
If you can do this a few times a month, it can significantly help!
You could even make a change jar, and every six months put everything towards your student loans.
It will add up quickly, and it’s money that you will most likely not miss.
Earn side income
Earning extra money on the side may allow you to pay off your student loans quicker than ever.
Whether you can devote an extra hour each day or an additional 8 hours a day, earning side income is something that everyone can do.
You could find a part-time job, start a business, sell items on the side, and so on to earn extra money.
Side hustles to start now
- Sell printables – #1 recommended side hustle for people looking for a low-stress way to earn passive income from home.
- Pinterest Virtual Assistant – Help businesses shine on Pinterest as a Pinterest manager. Create your own schedule, work for yourself, and work from anywhere in the world.
- Sell dog treats – Make up to $2,500 a month selling dog treats with this fun side hustle perfect for people who love dogs.
- Proofreading – Earn $20+ an hour proofreading from home. Be your own boss and set your own schedule.
- Surveys – Make money for answering simple questions. You can take as many surveys as you want and earn up to $5 per survey.
- Bookkeeping – Start your own virtual bookkeeping business and earn up to $80,000 a year from home.
Set up automatic payments
With most student loans, you may qualify for a 0.25% interest rate reduction if you set up an auto payment each month.
While that percentage may not seem like a lot, it will help you save money over the life of your loan, plus it’s an easy way to save!
What to read next: How I Make $10,000+ Per Month With These 4 Side Hustles
Don’t forget to sign up for the free resource library and get exclusive access to free printables & planners related to saving and making money, meal planning, and more!
How long do you plan on “keeping” your student loans?
Like this post? Please share it and spread the word!
Free Printable Library
Join 20,000 others and get access to free printables related to achieving financial freedom, starting a side hustle, and other fun goodies!
Alexis Schroeder is the CEO and founder of FITnancials.
With budgeting and side hustles, Alexis paid off over $40,000 of debt and made over $100,000 in side hustles in college.
Since starting this website over 10 years ago, Fitnancials has reached over 3,000,000 readers. We’ve been featured on sites like Forbes, Yahoo, Side Hustle School, GOBankingRates, Mint, and many more.
If you want to contact Alexis, please send an email to email@example.com.