Side hustles are not only awesome but important to have in case you lose income.
The best part about side hustles? A lot of them are easy, fun, and some can pay really good money.
- Extra stream of income in case you lose a job
- Build new skills (which can increase income at future job!)
- Make money in your spare time
- Pay off student loans or credit card balance
Best side hustles to make $1,000 a month
- Sell printables on Etsy – Selling printables is an easy and fun way to make side income. Set your own schedule + make your own hours. You can earn over $10,000 a year selling printables.
- Sell dog treats – Make $1,000+ selling dog treats from your home kitchen. Be your own boss and make your own schedule.
- Proofreading – Earn $20+ an hour proofreading from home. Great for people who enjoy editing and working from a computer.
- Surveys – Make money filling out surveys. You can take as many surveys as you want and earn up to $5 per survey.
Here are the four side hustles that make me $10,000 a month.
I have two blogs that allow me to work from home full-time.
The first blog is Fitnancials (which I started back in 2013!) and the second one is a houseplant blog that I started in 2021.
I even made $80,000 my senior year of college (that’s me in Forbes!).
If you’re wondering how I make money on this blog, it comes from:
- Affiliate marketing (someone clicks on my affiliate link and I get a commission)
- Sponsored posts
- Selling my own products (like my online course)
If you want to start a website but have questions like:
- What should my blog be about?
- How do I know what to write about?
- How soon can I start making money?
This free training teaches you how to create an income-producing website. You also learn the key mistakes to avoid if you’re a beginner.
TL;DR: Blogging makes up for a majority of my full-time income. I run two blogs by myself.
#2 Freelance writing
I’m a freelance writer for a popular blog. I love doing this because I can write any time I want to (no set hours) and I can pick as little or as many articles as I want to write.
Freelance writing is a great option for fully remote work that can either be part-time work or a full-time gig.
Benefits of freelance writing:
- Earn up to $5,000 a month writing and working from home
- Option to write articles on things you enjoy writing about
My friend Ariel is a full-time freelancer and even teaches others how to work from home making up to $5,000 a month.
I was a freelance writer in college and loved it! I got paid around $250 per article and it was the best job during college because I got to work from home and write whenever I wanted to.
TL;DR: I’ve been a freelance writer for personal finance websites for 10+ years now.
#3 Virtual Assistant
I’m also a virtual assistant for a $1,000,000 blog, which allows me to see how a successful, profitable business works.
Since so many businesses are moving online and into remote work, virtual assistants are increasing in growth.
Tasks I do as a virtual assistant:
- Create pins for Pinterest
- Manage social media platforms
- Respond to emails
- Write new blog posts
- and a lot more!
If you want to learn how to become a virtual assistant, take this free training.
This free training includes:
- Simple step-by-step process to become a Virtual Assistant
- How to earn a consistent income using skills you already have
- Why you don’t need to be a tech expert or go back to school to be a Virtual Assistant
- The shortest path to earning a legit living from anywhere
Pictured below is where I work as a virtual assistant! (AKA my home).
There are tons of ways to make money from apps, and my favorites are below.
- Ebates is a website that pays cash back for purchases made online through hundreds of websites like Walmart, Best Buy, Kohls, Ulta, and hundreds more. I’ve been using Ebates since I was in my early twenties! It’s my go to for saving money online. Create an Ebates account here.
- Ibotta is an app that pays cash back for groceries, clothes, household items, and anything else you can think of. If you’re new to Ibotta, you can get $10 in your account by signing up here.
[pictured below: insider view of my Ibotta app]
#5 Sell printables
Selling printables on Etsy is the best side hustle out there right now. Printable makers can earn between $100-$1000+ a month selling printables online (see their success stories here).
This is the side hustle for you if you’re:
- Looking for something stress-free
- Makes passive income
- Not wanting to package and ship items
You don’t need any previous experience to do this, you don’t need to be a graphic designer, and you don’t even need to be tech savvy for this.
Find out what kind of printables to make (so you can make the most money) and how to start an Etsy shop in this free training.
Here are a few printables I’ve made and give away for free on my blog. As I’m writing this, I’m opening up my own Etsy shop so I can start selling them!
#6 Make dog treats at home
You can earn $1,000-$5,000 a month with a dog treat business.
This fun and flexible side hustle can not only replace your day job, but bring you tons of joy by getting to bake and work with dogs on a regular basis.
My friend Kristin runs a successful dog treat business from home. She even teaches others how to replicate her success.
Check out this free training and learn:
- Most popular dog treats to sell
- Where to sell dog treats
- How much to charge
- What you need to start a dog treat business
Below are a few examples of people making money in the dog treat business!
#7 Open an Etsy store
A great way to make extra money is opening up an online store. Etsy makes it SUPER easy to do this.
Your Etsy store can sell handmade:
- Crochet goods
- Woodworking crafts
- Handmade clothes
- Dog treats
- Baked goods
- Custom art work
- Party decor and games
Small businesses thrive on Etsy. With hard work and the right skill set, your online store can take off.
Recommended reading: 13 Best Things To Sell On Etsy
#8 Pinterest Virtual Assistant
A Pinterest Virtual Assistant is someone who manages a business’s profile on Pinterest.
Pinterest VA’s are in charge of tasks like creating new pins, scheduling pins, creating descriptions for pins, etc.
Benefits of being a Pinterest VA:
- Work from anywhere
- Set your own schedule
- Can make $500-$5,000+ a month
- Ability to quit your day job and do this full-time
In the free training, you’ll learn:
- How to get started as a Pinterest VA right away
- Steps to take to start this business
- How to create a business plan based on how much you want to make
Filling out surveys to make money is an easy way to make money by simply providing your opinion to questions.
I genuinely enjoy surveys because I love sharing my opinion on things.
I’ve always been into taking quizzes and surveys, so naturally, I love this method of making some extra cash.
Here are a couple of my favorite online surveys:
Transform your passion for words and reading by becoming a professional proofreader.
I hire a proofreader for special projects which has been insanely helpful in growing my business.
Proofreaders can work for:
- Books publishers
- Small business owners
Proofreaders can earn between $17-$30 per hour and offers competitive pay and flexible hours while working from home.
Here is a free training that will show you if proofreading is right for you.
This is a great side hustle that can turn into a full-time job. You work entirely remote and typically set your own schedule.
#11 Salesforce Analyst
My friend Leila changed careers and recently got a job as a Salesforce Professional.
She found her first job through a recruiter reaching out to her on LinkedIn, and now she’s earning $70,000+ at home with amazing benefits.
A Salesforce Professional is someone who is trained to improve business processes with something called Salesforce.
You don’t need any previous experience or college degree for this and almost all of these jobs are remote so you can work from home.
The average starting salary of a Salesforce Professional is between $60,000-$80,000 and some people even land first jobs making over $100,000.
See if a Salesforce career is right for you by taking the free 5 Day Salesforce Challenge to better understand the Salesforce career path and how you can get started.
A bookkeeper’s job is to keep records of financial transactions of a business.
Bookkeepers can make between $30,000-$60,000 per year.
Becoming a bookkeeper has several benefits, such as low startup costs, high profit, and ability to work remotely.
If you’re eager to learn more about becoming a bookkeeper, check out this free training that will show you the quickest and easiest way to start and run a successful virtual bookkeeping business.
#13 Facebook Ad Manager
Did you know you can become a Facebook Ad Manager for businesses and make an extra $1,000+ a month with just 1 client Facebook Ad Managers are in charge of running ads for businesses to increase their customer base and income.
There are over 27 million businesses in the U.S. with over 500,000 new businesses starting every month.
Out of 27 million businesses, all you need is 1-2 clients to make $1,000 a month.
Many Facebook Ad Managers take on 10 clients a month, which can be roughly $10,000 a month.
There’s even a free training that teaches you which side hustles to avoid and why becoming a Facebook Ad Manager is one of the best side hustles.
You also get access to a 3 step process to find clients that will hire you and how you can do this even if you’re brand new to advertising. Get the free training here.
FAQ- How I Make Money With Side Hustles
Can I replace my day job income with a side hustle?
Yes, and more and more people are doing this because of the flexible schedule and being in the comfort of your own home.
What other side gigs can I do?
We’re living in a gig economy with an endless surplus of side hustles.
Here are even more ideas:
- Dog walker
- Graphic designers
- Rent out a spare room
- Start a YouTube channel
- Social media manager
- Uber Eats, Door Dash, Grub Hub
- Brand ambassador
How can I find remote work?
If you’re looking for a side job where you can set your own hours, I recommend checking:
My friend found a super awesome gig on UpWork working 30 hours a week for a digital marketing company. She highly recommends checking out UpWork for side gig work.
What side hustles should I stay away from?
You want to stay away from pyramid schemes or anything that sounds too good to be true. I fell for this in the beginning of my side hustle career and it was a huge waste of time.
What to read next: How I Built A Profitable Blog While Working And Being In School Full-Time
Don’t forget to sign up for the free resource library and get exclusive access to free printables & planners related to saving and making money!
Do you want to start a side gig? Would you like to make more money?
Free Printable Library
Join 20,000 others and get access to free printables related to achieving financial freedom, starting a side hustle, and other fun goodies!