Teaching English online is a great way to make income at home while on your schedule. The number of hours you work is up to you, which is the great thing about teaching online.
Here are 3 reasons to teach English online:
- Flexible schedule
- Rewarding career and make a difference in a child’s life
- Work from home
You don’t need to provide any learning materials and you even have a curriculum fully prepared for you. It’s amazing!
Teaching is such a rewarding job, which is why there’s a low turnover rate in the online English teaching field. Once someone becomes an online English teacher, they stick with the job for a very long time.
Here are 2 companies that are currently hiring for English teachers.
Before we get started, make sure to sign up for my free resource library and get access to exclusive printables all about saving money and building wealth, meal planning, and more.
1. Teaching English with Education First
Education First is an online platform where Chinese students connect with online English teachers.
As an online English teacher, you can make up to $20/hour plus bonuses. Perks include working remotely, setting your own schedule, and working at a job where employees feel happy and fulfilled with their work.
Requirements to become an Education First Teacher
- Native speakers from US or UK
- Bachelor’s degree in any field
- Authorized to work in the US or the UK
- Stable and reliable internet
- TEFL certification (I personally have a TEFL certification and it’s very easy to obtain one!)
2. Teach English with Qkids
Teaching English online is a great way to make income at home, while on your schedule. You’re also helping people learn English, which gives them the ability to talk to over 1.5 billion people around the world.
Qkids pays up to $20 an hour and also has bonuses for teachers who have good attendance.
Qkids Quick Facts
- Qkids is a national learner in a cross-cultural E-learning platform
- Over 100,000 Chinese students with Qkids
- Patented and effective game-based curriculum with fun, dynamic, and engaging narrative gaming adventures
Requirements to become a Qkids Teacher
- Eligible to legally work in the U.S. or Canada
- Earned a bachelor’s degree or currently enrolled in a university program (juniors and seniors in college only)
- Technical requirements: a computer with a stable internet connection and clear audio/video capacity
Here’s how to get hired for your online English teaching job
Just like any job, you will go through an application and interview process. It’s key to make both of these things stand out!
- Create a high-quality resume if it is required. I use Canva to create resumes because they have premade templates.
- Get a TEFL certification if required. It’s not nearly as hard or time-intensive as you think.
- Create a video introducing yourself (if your application allows). If your application allows this option, this is going to make you stand out among other people.
- Practice your interview and look up helpful YouTube videos of people who have gotten jobs with Education First, VIPKID, Magic Ears, etc.
- If you get asked to do a face interview on Skype, make sure the area seen in the video is clean, you have good lighting, etc. I’ve seen some teachers go as far as putting things on the wall that you would typically see in an elementary school classroom, like posters of the alphabet.
Don’t forget to sign up for the free resource library and get exclusive access to free printables & planners related to saving and making money, meal planning, and more!
Are you interested in teaching English online? Tell us in the comments!
Like this post? Pin it!