Teaching English online is a fantastic way to make a comfortable income at home while creating your schedule.
Even better, you're your boss.
Today I'm going to share with you 3 of the top companies that are hiring English teachers. 🙂
Take action now: Before we begin, join the Free Resource Library to get access to fun and helpful resources to achieve financial freedom or grow your online business. Included for free are downloads like the income thermometer (to push you to grow your income) or the monthly budget planner. 🙂
What if I have no experience teaching English online?
Many companies do not require you to have taught English before.
Before getting accepted to an online teaching job, you'll be required to go through a mock teaching class. This is where you can shine and show off your skills.
[ Company #1 QKids ]
Qkids Quick Facts
- Over 100,000 Chinese students with Qkids
- Patented and effective game-based curriculum with fun, dynamic, and engaging narrative gaming adventures
As a Qkids online English Teacher, you will
- Teach English to young learners between 5-12 years of age through the online platform
- Classrooms up to 4 students
- Coordination Team handles scheduling and student assignment
- A lesson is 30 minutes
- 19 hours available weekly for teachers
- Training and support provided
- Rate: $16-20 USD/hr (2 lessons)
- Attendance and performance bonuses
Requirements to become a Qkids Teacher
- Eligible to legally work in the U.S. or Canada
- Earned a bachelor’s degree or currently enrolled in a university program (juniors and seniors in college only)
- The minimum time commitment is 6 hours weekly
- Prior teaching experience or equivalent in education, tutoring, mentoring, homeschooling preferred
- English teaching certificates (TESOL, TEFL, CELTA, ESL) preferred
- Technical requirements: a computer with a stable internet connection and clear audio/video capacity
[ Company #2 VIPKID ]
Benefits of working for VIPKID
- Lesson plans and course material ALL provided
- Earn $18-$22 per hour from home, saving money on transportation costs to work, and time
- Learn about Chinese culture
- Join a dedicated and passionate community
Here's a great video from a current online English teacher that will help you land a job, particularly with VIPKID.
- “VIPKID is an amazing opportunity for teachers who, like myself, had to take a hiatus for whatever reason, or even for those teachers that want a little extra income on the side.” Donna D.
- “The community of teachers all around the world means that there is always someone who is going through what you're going through as you prepare for your lessons.” – Rachel
VIPKID FUN FACTS:
- VIPKID has a teacher retention rate of 95% AND a student retention rate of 95%.
- One teacher made over $75,000 in 2016 from VIPKID.
- VIPKID is known for having the best students.
- Last July, the highest paying teacher made $9,000 (yes, in 1 month).
- VIPKID has also informed me that they're definitely in need of English teachers as their registered users have surpassed the 500,000 mark (omg!), with close to 100,000 paying students.
- P.S. Twice a year, VIPKID teachers get a chance to win a trip to the Headquarters in Beijing.
This job is perfect for
- Someone who wants to be location independent, meaning you can work anywhere in the world
- Anyone who has a passion for teaching
- Enjoys working with other cultures
- Wants to make extra money
This job is not for
- Someone who does not have time to commit to a part-time job
- Someone who doesn't enjoy teaching
- Someone who doesn't enjoy working at home or on a computer
- Someone who doesn't enjoy working with children
- Eligibility to work in the US or Canada
- Bachelor's degree in any field
- Minimum 1 year of traditional teaching experience OR the equivalent in Mentoring, Tutoring, Alternative education, Coaching, Supervising, Pastors, Church Leaders, Nursery School Assistants, etc.
- Teachers are paid according to the number of classes finished.
- Pay starts at US $14-$18 an hour. However, there are incentives for every lesson, which means a typical service wage ranges from US $14-$22 an hour.
- Paid between 10th and 15th of each month.
- Teachers are evaluated for a raise at the renewal point.
What is the application process like?
How to be successful in landing a job at VIPKID
After registering and applying here, prospective VIPKid teachers in major cities across the US may participate in an exclusive coaching day led by top VIPKid mentors.
Here's what is included:
- Company Overview: Learn more about this fast-growing company and how we are making a global impact. VIPKID has over 15,000 teachers in our community, and you will see first hand what it's like to be a VIPKID teacher.
- Skill-Based Practice: Get hands-on practice with key skills for teaching ESL online. This includes Total Physical Response, Energy, Phonics, Student Output, and Appropriate Language. We will also practice pacing & reward systems.
- Demo Lesson: Get individualized attention from VIPKID teachers and practice with your Demo Lesson. Record a 10 min demo using our teaching platform and curriculum.
Do I need to create my curriculum?
“No, VIPKID curriculum team has already designed materials for every class. However, teachers must prepare for class by reviewing the class materials beforehand. Teachers may review class materials in the classroom on the teacher portal 6-12 hours in advance.” – VIPKID
Are you interested in other real work from home careers? Check out this great list.
- Check out my Free Resource Library to get tons of free printables
- Join my Facebook Community where we share tips related to fitness, health, and more
- Check out my top recommendations for health, finance, and blogging
Related articles to read:
Do you want to teach English online?
Like this post? Pin it!