After working a regular job under the authority of others for years, I've come to realize the benefits of being your own boss.
You get to create your own schedule, you don't have to ask permission for days off, and someone isn't bossing you around and telling you what to do.
Below are 15 jobs where you can be your own boss.
1. Teaching English online
Teaching English online is a great way to make income at home, while on your own schedule.
You're also helping people learn English, which gives them the ability to talk to over 1.5 billion people around the world.
That’s pretty amazing when you think about it! VIPKID pays up to $25 per hour, and the entire curriculum is provided for you.
2. Sell on Amazon
The first year that Jessica’s family ran their Amazon FBA business together, working less than 20 hours a week total, they made over 6 figures profit.
You can turn your passion for visiting thrift stores, yard sales, and flea markets into a profitable reselling business.
Learn how flipping can be your ticket to lifestyle freedom and financial security in this free workshop here. 🙂
3. Facebook Ad Manager
Did you know you can become a Facebook Ads Manager for businesses and make an extra $1,000 to $2,000 a month?
You can even learn how to become a Facebook Ads Manager in less than 28 days with the Facebook Side Hustle Course.
This course works, and it even gives you access to a private group that is full of testimonials.
Check out the testimonials here and see people who are making up to $10,000 per month doing this.
4. Flipping Items
A flipper is someone who flips products for profit.
My friend Melissa, of Flipper University, created a guide that teaches people her secrets and strategies for reaching over $100k in sales after their first year of full-time flipping.
These are a few of the things she’s flipped for profit:
- An item that they bought for $10 and flipped for $200 just 6 minutes later.
- A security tower they bought for $6,200 and flipped for $25,000 just one month later.
- A prosthetic leg that they bought for $30 at a flea market and sold for $1,000 on eBay the next day.
She even created a course called Flipper University that teaches students how to become a successful flipper. Melissa says her students can expect to make $500-$2,500 per month in their first year.
5. Teaching English with Magic Ears
Magic Ears is a company based in China that hires English speakers from the U.S. and Canada to teach English.
Magic Ears pays teachers up to $26 per hour and provides all the curriculum for you.
6. Pick up garbage
The garbage pickup business is incredible for several reasons: 1) There's a high demand for it, 2) It's recession-proof, and 3) It helps the environment.
Not only that, you can make pretty great money, while also getting in a great work out. Brian has also found many treasures during his cleanup, including $600 that was thrown away in a dumpster.
If you're interested in this opportunity, check out Brian's book, CleanLots, where he tells you everything you need to know to get started, which also includes free phone support to get your business up and running.
7. Flipping Websites
My friend Jenn has made over $100k flipping blogs.
She works part-time, sets her own hours, and is now sharing her strategies and tips with people who want to do the same.
8. Rent a room or apartment out on Airbnb
People can make a decent amount of money through Airbnb.
If you travel often and have a vacant house, I definitely recommend putting your apartment or house on Airbnb.
Always make sure to check your apartments rules and guidelines regarding renting a room out.
9. Teach a foreign language
Do you know a foreign language? Do you enjoy teaching?
If so, you may enjoy teaching that language online.
You can host your services on Craigslist, put flyers around your neighborhood, or even apply to be a teacher on italki.
Italki is a website that connects teachers with students wanting to learn a specific language.
10. Host your services on Fiverr
Do you offer freelancing services like web design, editing, marketing, or other services?
Create a profile on Fiverr where thousands of people come to hire people to do work for them.
I’ve hired logo designers and more all from Fiverr and definitely recommend it!
11. Start a blog
When I went full-time on my blog back in 2017, I was scraping by and wasn't making much on my blog, but now I've made close to six figures with my online business in just 1 year. It's really incredible what you have the power to do with your blog.
You can monetize a blog in so many ways, including sponsored posts, affiliate marketing, ad revenue, selling your own products, coaching, and so much more.
What you ultimately do to make money as a blogger is completely up to you.
Here are 5 to become a successful blogger:
1) Choose a niche that already makes money (personal finance, health and fitness, travel, etc.) and subniche from there. This means go even deeper into a niche. Ex. Niche: Personal finance > Subniche: Personal finance for college students or personal finance for Catholic moms.
2) Take a comprehensive blogging course. My #1 recommendation for new bloggers who want to build a profitable blog in the fastest time is Blog With A Full-Time Job.
Blog With A Full-Time Job consists of:
- A specific plan for launching, growing and monetizing your blog while working full-time
- The exact strategy to grow and monetize your blog to a six-figure blog
- How to set up a beautiful looking blog that is completely customizable
- How to write blog posts specifically for monetizing
- Sooo much more + tons of bonuses, templates, worksheets, etc.
- Learn how to manage your mind, productivity, time management (all VERY important for working at home and running a successful business)
If you've never taken a blogging course and aren't sure which one to choose, Blog With A Full-Time Job is it.
3) Learn from 1 teacher at a time. For example, in Blog With A Full-Time Job, there's a 12-month strategy plan that you will implement in your blogging business. Eliminate distraction and overall by learning from this teacher and this teacher only until you have finished the course. This rule can be applied to any blogging course you are in.
4) Figure out what outlet you want to use for blogging. Do you want to have your own blog? Or do you want to create a YouTube channel? Find out where your audience is and go from there. If you don't know yet, don't sweat it. You'll learn as you go. Creating a blog at the very least will be useful, even if you go the YouTube route.
5) Create a blog with this beginner's guide to starting a profitable blog.
12. Freelance writing
I'm a freelance writer myself and love this area of work. Which is why when I came across Freelance Writing Simplified, I knew I had to read it and share it with my readers.
Freelance Writing Simplified teaches you a simplified approach to building a freelance writing business. Even better – the guide only costs $25.
You learn from a successful freelancer herself who had a dream of working from home – and is now a freelance writer full-time while traveling the world.
13. Freelance Proofreader
In 2014, Caitlin, of Proofread Anywhere, made slightly over $43,000 as a freelance proofreader, while also going on several fun vacations.
“Thanks to Proofread Anywhere, I am now a freelance proofreader, earning money while I stay at home with my kids.” – Amy, Proofread Anywhere Student
If you want to find out how she makes a full-time income as a freelance proofreader, you can try her FREE 76-minute workshop that will give you tons of great info on becoming a freelance proofreader.
Becoming a bookkeeper has several benefits, such as low startup costs, high profit, freedom to work remotely, and plenty more.
As a bookkeeper, you can expect to earn an average of $62 per hour.
Click here to get access to a free, 3-part video series that'll reveal the keys to success in the bookkeeping industry.
Scoping is the process of editing legal documents for court reporters.
Scopists generally make between 30k-60k a year when working full-time.
If you are willing to do rush work, you can make significantly more.
- Check out my Free Resource Library to get tons of free printables
- Join my Facebook Community where we share tips related to fitness, health, and more
- Check out my top recommendations for health, finance, and blogging
Related articles to read:
- 16 Real Work From Home Jobs That Pay Up To $75,000 A Year
- 7 Books To Become A Better and Happier You
- Healthiest Foods For A Tight Budget
Do you want to be your own boss?
Like this post? Pin it!