Teaching English abroad has become quite popular over the years, but what about teaching English from the comfort of your own home?
Working remotely means you can travel as you please, and reap the benefits of teaching English without having to commit to a school for a year or more. I've had several friends that have become English teachers, and while there are many benefits to the job, there are a few downfalls as well.
Some of the cons of teaching English abroad are getting stuck in a job or contract that makes you work more hours than you were signed onto, getting constant pressure from parents, or sticking out of the crowd like a sore thumb.
Which is why I'm super excited to share with you all an online teaching service called VIPKID.
- How I Went From $1,000 to $10,000 Per Month On My Blog In 1 Year
- 16 Real Work From Home Jobs That Pay Up To $75,000 A Year
Check out the video below from real VIPKID teachers!
VIPKID is an online service for Chinese students eager to learn English. You teach one student at a time, with a curriculum provided by VIPKID.
You can set up your own schedule, have support from the tech team, as well as have lesson plans provided. You'll be teaching the English language, as well as teaching American traditions and American culture. You'll also learn about the Chinese culture a bit as well.
Pay: Teachers will receive a base pay of $18-$22 an hour
As far as payment goes, it’s not unknown for a teacher to make a livable income off VIPKID. Last July, the highest paying teacher made $9,000 (yes, in 1 month). A teacher named Dan made over $75,000 in 2016 from VIPKID.
- Eligibility to work in the US or Canada
- Bachelor's degree in any field
- Minimum 1 year of traditional teaching experience OR the equivalent in Mentoring, Tutoring, Alternative education, Coaching, Supervising, Pastors, Church Leaders, Nursery School Assistants, etc.
Don't have a bachelor's degree? Check out Magic Ears here, a company similar to VIPKID that does NOT require a bachelor's degree.
How to successfully become a VIPKID teacher:
After registering and applying here, prospective VIPKid teachers in major cities across the US may participate in an exclusive coaching day led by top VIPKid mentors. Here's what is included:
- Company Overview: Learn more about this fast-growing company and how we are making a global impact. VIPKID has over 15,000 teachers in our community and you will see first hand what its like to be a VIPKID teacher.
- Skill-Based Practice: Get hands-on practice with key skills for teaching ESL online. This includes Total Physical Response, Energy, Phonics, Student Output, and Appropriate Language. We will also practice pacing, & reward systems.
- Demo Lesson: Get individualized attention from VIPKID teachers and practice with your Demo Lesson. Record a 10 min demo using our teaching platform and curriculum.
Major benefits of working with VIPKID:
- Lesson plans and course material ALL provided
- Twice a year, VIPKID teachers get a chance to win a trip to the Headquarters in Beijing.
VIPKID has also informed me that they’re definitely in need of English teachers as their registered users have surpassed the 500,000 mark (omg!), with close to 100,000 paying students.
This job is perfect for:
- Someone who wants to be location independent, meaning you can work anywhere in the world
- Anyone who has a passion for teaching
- Enjoys working with other cultures
- Wants to make extra money
The English language is one of the most sought out languages in the world due to it being the most commonly spoken language on earth. Because of that, native English speakers will have the best chance of scoring a job versus English speakers from other countries, even the United Kingdom.
Are you interested in starting a blog and becoming a full-time blogger? If so, check out my FREE 7-day course that will tell you everything you need to know, including how to create your own blog from scratch, essential blogging tools successful bloggers use, how to monetize your blog, grow a loyal audience, and so much more!
Like this post? Pin it
Have you ever thought about teaching English at home?
How To Start A Profitable Blog - FREE Email Course
Over the next 7 days, I'll teach you everything you need to know, including how to create your own blog from scratch, essential blogging tools, how to monetize your blog, grow a loyal audience, and more. Join now!