Are you interested in starting a side hustle that is done completely remote?
Here is a fully remote job opportunity that is currently hiring new tutors.
What is BookNook?
BookNook is an online tutoring platform that has become widely successful for connecting tutors with learners.
What qualifications do I need to become a tutor?
BookNook tutors are comfortable teaching groups of up to four students online and meet one of the criteria below:
- You have a bachelor’s degree or higher (degree area not important), and you have at least one year of teaching or tutoring experience.
- You are in your final year of a teacher credentialing or education degree program, and you have at least one year of teaching or tutoring experience.
- You have at least two years of teaching or tutoring experience.
- U.S. residents only.
Who is a great fit for this?
- You are passionate about working with children
- You excel at building connections with students from different backgrounds
- You approach challenges with a growth mindset
- You are an engaging teacher
- You empower students to build on their strengths
- You are tech-savvy
Ready to start your application? Apply Here.
Competitive pay rate: For this role, the pay is $18/hour plus potential program by program bonuses. All tutors are independent contractors and responsible for their own self-employment tax filings with the IRS. You will be provided a 1099 at the end of the calendar year.
Schedule: BookNook is still in the building phase of our Tutoring division and we are currently hiring tutors for programs that will start in the Fall of 2022. Once hired and background checked, tutors will be provided access to our Portal to sign up for available tutoring appointments.
Curriculum: A proven technology platform that guides you through lessons and shows student performance in real-time.
What grades will I tutor?
Tutors work with students K-8 in groups from BookNook’s school district partners. Kids are grouped by skill level, so you may teach students of different ages but all within the same skill level.
You can sign up for tutoring sessions for the skill/grade level you’re most comfortable teaching.
How many students will I tutor and how long are the sessions?
In each session, you’ll tutor groups of up to four students simultaneously. Tutoring sessions are 30 minutes each.
BookNook’s platform is designed to teach groups synchronously and is based on research showing that group learning and human interaction lead to the best outcomes.
How do I set my schedule?
You will select dates and hours that work best for you from a schedule we provide after you are hired. Tutoring sessions are 30 minutes each.
Do I need to do any lesson planning?
No! Isn’t that great? BookNook’s platform is based on 30 years of research of what works for students.
Any time you log in, you’ll be directed to the right lesson for the right next step your students need to take. Real-time feedback shows you whether your students need more practice or are ready to advance.
How much do I get paid and how does it work?
BookNook tutors are independent contractors paid an hourly rate of $15-$22. Your rate is based on multiple factors including your experience and qualifications. We pay by direct deposit semi-monthly (two times per month). You are responsible for your own taxes and withholdings.
What technology do I need and can I get reimbursed for it?
BookNook’s platform works on tablets, laptops, and desktops with an Internet connection and a Chrome or Safari browser. Tutors are independent contractors and therefore provide (and pay for) their own technology.
How do I learn to use the BookNook platform?
Hundreds of schools and teachers use BookNook’s platform to support their students, so the good news is that it is easy to use. After you are hired, BookNook will provide two resources for you to learn the platform:
- A video tutorial you can watch any time
- Live webinars with a specialist who can guide you through the platform and answer any of your questions
What is the hiring process like?
- Application Process: The application questions are set up to allow BookNook to get to know you, and match your specific qualifications against the qualifications for the role.
- Initial Application Review: BookNook reviews these questions against our minimum requirements for a Tutor, and you will hear from us within 5 business days of us receiving your application.
- Interview Process: BookNook conducts interviews through Spark Hire, a one-way video interview platform. BookNook likes using this instead of typical 1:1 video interviews, to allow you to: prepare by having time to think about our questions, do the interview on your own time schedule, and showcase your skills through a brief teaching demonstration.
- Final Decisions: After your Spark Hire video interview is submitted, BookNook reviews your interview and you will receive notification of our hiring decision within 5 business days.
- Being Placed as a Tutor: BookNook is currently building their Tutor community and piloting Tutor engagements in school districts around the country. Placements will be somewhat limited through August 2022 but will continue to grow throughout the year. Being selected as a BookNook Online Tutor does not guarantee immediate or consistent tutoring work, but you will be able to opt into Tutoring placements regularly as we grow.
What is the application process?
BookNook’s application process has two parts. The first part should take 10 minutes or less and includes short questions about your qualifications, schedule, and grade and subject matter preferences.
After we review your application, you’ll receive an email indicating whether you’ve been invited to the second part of the process which is a one-way video interview. In BookNook’s one-way video interview, we’ll ask you a few questions over video, and you record your answers over video. We will also ask you to conduct a three-minute (or less) teaching sample to the camera. Recording your videos will be as simple as clicking a link and recording from your phone or computer camera and microphone.
Ready to start your application? Apply Here.
Best side hustles (making $1,000+/month)
- Sell printables on Etsy – Selling printables is the #1 side hustle to make money. This can be done on your own schedule and turn into passive income! You can earn over $10,000 a year selling printables.
- Sell dog treats – Make $1,000+ selling dog treats from the comfort of your home. Be your own boss and make your own schedule.
- Proofreading – Earn $20+ an hour proofreading from home. Great for people who enjoy editing and working from a computer.
Free Printable Library
Join 20,000 others and get access to free printables related to achieving financial freedom, starting a side hustle, and other fun goodies!