Tuft & Needle provided me with a mattress for my honest review.
My boyfriend and I recently moved back to Colorado a couple years ago and we got rid of everything during the move, including our mattress. We loved our mattress and were going to buy it again once we got to Colorado, but found out they no longer shipped to the U.S., so it was time to do some digging to find our new favorite mattress.
Turns out, finding the right mattress for couples is harder than I thought. We have tested out different mattresses since the move and find that there’s always a bit of struggle. I like a bit of a cushiony type of mattress while my boyfriend goes for the firmer mattress. It’s so funny to say this, but I was actually getting frustrated with this whole mattress buying experience.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago, Tuft & Needle reached out and asked me if I was interested in trying out their mattress. I figured anything was better than what we were currently sleeping on, so I said of course. If I didn’t like it, I could return the mattress to them at no cost to me.
Today’s review goes over everything you need to know about the Tuft & Needle mattress. My hard to impress boyfriend initially didn’t like the mattress. What’d he think after sleeping on it for 3 weeks? I’ll share it below.
Thoughts And Concerns Buying A Mattress Online
- We have money goals right now and cannot afford to get the wrong mattress, but we’d return it if we have to
- We were nervous because we never felt the mattress and weren’t sure if it would fit our needs
- My boyfriend and I have different desires of firmness when it comes to mattresses, we’re not sure if we would be able to find something we both like
I ended up doing a ton of research for our next mattress both on Google and YouTube (who knew that mattress reviews were so popular). My boyfriend and I were ready to get our dream mattress that fit both our needs. Our previous mattress was way too firm for me and my boyfriend (who usually likes firm) wasn’t a fan of it either. We’ve gone through a few mattresses over the years and were ready to finally find the perfect mattress, even if it took some trial and error.
Choosing the Mattress
After reading a ton of mattress reviews on YouTube and Google, I determined the Tuft & Needle Mint mattress was perfect for my sleeping situation. You’ll see I really did my research here before getting this mattress.
I chose the Mint Tuft & Needle mattress for a few reasons:
- The Mint mattress is great for side sleepers because pressure is relieved on shoulders and hips due to its adaptive foam layers
- Couples love this mattress because the T&N Adaptive®Foam does well with motion transfer, meaning you cannot feel the bed move when your partner changes sleeping positions or gets up from bed (I always woke up when my partner got up in our previous mattress)
- It’s a cooler-sleeping mattress, which I prefer for a more breathable and cool sleep (I hate sleeping in hot temps)
- The Mint mattress has enhanced edge support, so if you’re like me and tend to sleep more on the edge of a mattress, you’ll feel secure
My boyfriend and I originally went in-store mattress shopping and the experience was… Less than ideal. I personally couldn’t find a mattress I liked at the big-box mattress store. I was also hesitant to buy a mattress from the store because you can’t see reviews for most of the mattresses. The mattresses that I did find reviews for only had a few. Since I’m a reviews type of person and like to hear others’ feedback, this was important to me.
The Tuft & Needle mattress has over 6,000 five-star reviews on Amazon and more than 100,000 reviews on the Tuft & Needle website. It’s also made in the USA. No mattress is perfect for everyone so I was interested in seeing what the negative reviews had to say as well.
Unboxing the Mattress
When this thing landed off the Fedex truck, it was heaaaaaavy! The Fedex driver delivered it to our door and my boyfriend brought it inside the bedroom. He opened the box, rolled out the mattress, and carefully cut the plastic off the mattress all by himself.
There is an initial smell when you unbox the mattress (which my boyfriend said he really liked, strangely enough). It’s not a chemical smell, but a smell from the packing process. The Tuft & Needle mattress is CertiPUR-US and Greenguard Gold Certified, so it’s completely free from harmful chemicals and gases.
Feel of the Mattress
The best way I can explain this mattress is the way it feels when you sleep on a hotel or cruise-line mattress. I seriously get the best sleep when I’m traveling and have always dreamt of having a bed that gave me the best sleep. This mattress does that for me.
Pros of the Tuft & Needle Mint Mattress
When we first unboxed the mattress and laid down on it, I immediately knew I was going to love it.
- The mattress is the perfect amount of firmness for me
- Soft and just the right bit of cushiony
- Cool and refreshing when sleeping
- I fall asleep within 10 minutes of laying down (which is unheard of for me)
Cons of the Tuft & Needle Mint Mattress
If you are heavier than 300 pounds, I’ve read the Tuft & Needle Mint mattress may make you sink too far down into the mattress. My boyfriend is 6 feet tall and 200 pounds and he didn’t have any complaints with sinking.
My only complaint about this mattress is that when we initially got it, I spent way too much time in bed. I literally spent half a Saturday and almost the entirety of Sunday in bed. I blame this on having poor quality sleep for the past few years.
I love this mattress so much that I’ve been telling friends about it! Which is not at all something I do because it’s just a mattress, right?
Hard-To-Impress Boyfriend’s Thoughts
It wasn’t love at first sight for my boyfriend [pictured below]. He’s always been a hard one to please (he hated our previous mattress and said he preferred to sleep on the ground). At first, he said the mattress was too soft for him. That is, until it was around 6pm the first night we had the bed.
- He laid down “for a quick nap” and didn’t wake up until 5AM the next morning
- He obviously had a change of heart and said he had the best sleep he’s had in a long time
- He said he likes the firmness and softness of the bed, and how there’s just the right amount of sinking into the bed
After 3 weeks of sleeping on this bed, he has no complaints. His parents came into town recently and we offered our bed since we don’t have a guest bed, and they said they loved the bed and had great sleep during their stay. His mom did say she thought the bed was too soft at first, but said the next morning she had a great sleep. She even mentioned that it was very comfortable for her since she is side sleeper.
Benefits of Buying From Tuft & Needle
- 100-night trial
- Hassle-free limited warranty
- Quick, simple financing with Affirm
- Free shipping and returns
- Military, Healthcare Professionals, and First-Responders get 15% off
Buying a mattress with Affirm
Affirm is an easy way to get financing if you’re ready to buy a new mattress but want to make payments over a few months. I personally use Affirm to finance my Peloton since it’s interest-free. [I chose to finance the Peloton because I like having some money invested into the bike each month, it makes me take the Peloton bike more “seriously”.]
- You can make payments for the mattress over 3, 6, or a 12 month time frame
- Affirm financing is subject to eligibility check and approval
- Great option for people who want a long-lasting, higher quality mattress on a tighter budget who want to pay over time
Details of the Mint Mattress
- 12″ tall, 3 layers, all foam
- Specifically a good option for side sleepers and couples.
- Firmness: Medium
- Reinforced foam edge support
- Breathable, open-cell foam
- Graphite added to draw your body heat away from you
- Ceramic-coated cooling gel beads added to help combat heat retention
- Ultra-luxurious charcoal gray cover
- 4.6 rating out of 5 stars (over 10,000 reviews)
Jersey Sheets Review
We also got the Tuft & Needle Jersey Sheets which is an ultra-soft sheet set for people who like sheets that feel like t-shirts.
These sheets are:
- Designed to wick moisture away from the body
- Prevent pilling and not wrinkle
When we unboxed the sheets, again, I knew I was going to love them once I felt them. I hated our previous bed sheets, they were thin and felt cheap. I had no idea bed sheets could make such a difference.
The Jersey Sheets are perfectly smooth and soft, and you feel like you’re getting hugged (weird, but the best way I can explain it). My hard to impress boyfriend said he thought the sheets were too soft (at first), but the next day he said he actually really liked them. We’ve never had sheets like this and I don’t think we’ll ever go back to using any other kind of sheets again!
What happens if you don’t like the mattress?
If a Tuft & Needle mattress or any of the accessories isn’t for you within the first 100 nights, you can get a refund and the company will coordinate free pickup. If you ordered the product directly from T&N, you can email them at [email protected] and they will get your return started. From there, they will help you get it donated to a local charity or non-profit organization. It takes 5-10 business days for your refund to return to your original form of payment.
I might be biased, but I really think you’ll love the mattress as much as we do.
Would I choose the Tuft & Needle mattress again?
As I mentioned earlier, I was ready to return the mattress if both my boyfriend and I didn’t love it. We’ve spent enough time on bad mattresses that didn’t fit our needs. There’s no point in us keeping a mattress if we weren’t going to love and use it.
Fortunately, my boyfriend and I both loved the mattress and we are keeping it. I’m seriously getting the best sleep of my life and I’ve even gone as far as redecorating my bedroom because I love spending time in there now.
Final Thoughts on the Tuft & Needle Mattress
- The mattress provides a more luxurious feel without the expensive price tag
- Tuft & Needle has a mattress for any person, couple, side sleeper, and budget
- You get just the right amount of firmness and support
- The mattress wicks away heat and provides a cool sleep
Turns out, mattresses really do matter and are worth doing your research on. I’ve been getting the best sleep of my life and I actually enjoy the process of going to bed and falling asleep now. Like I mentioned earlier, the Tuft & Needle Mint Mattress along with the Jersey Sheets make it feel like I’m getting hugged while staying cool and breathable. It’s the only way I can explain it.
I also think it says a lot when a company (particularly a mattress company) is going out of their way to do good and make a positive impact. Tuft & Needle has donated over $9 million in mattresses back to the community and has a mission to make a positive social impact.
Are you interested in getting the Tuft & Needle mattress? What questions do you have for me?
Like this post? Share it!