*The authors of The Friendly Vegan Cookbook gave me permission to share this recipe in full.*
If you’re vegan or looking to cut down on animal products, this recipe is for you.
Tofu scramble is my go-to breakfast recipe when I’m looking to empty out leftovers in the fridge and fill up on protein. It’s one of the easiest and quickest breakfast recipes to make. And oh man it is SO good!
This recipe comes from one of my all-time favorite recipe books, The Friendly Vegan Cookbook. If you’re looking for easy, delicious recipes with ingredients you probably already have in the house, I highly recommend this book.
There are amazing recipes like:
- Pot pie
- Breakfast burritos
- Mac N’ Cheese
- Cinnamon rolls
They even share with you how to make a plant-based lifestyle as easy as possible. This book would be an amazing gift for the holiday season as well.
Before we get started, make sure to sign up for my free resource library and get tons of free printables to help change your life.
This garlicky, easy-to-prepare scramble is loaded with flavor and protein to help you feel sated all the way until lunchtime. When we introduced this savory dish to Michelle’s birth father after he first became vegan, he started eating it for breakfast nearly every single day. If you, too, get hooked, keep it interesting by adding it to our Breakfast Burrito (page 26).
Yield: 2 large portions or 4 sides
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 14 minutes | Total time: 24 minutes
1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
½ red or green bell pepper, diced
½ medium yellow or red onion, diced
4 medium cloves garlic, minced
1 (16-ounce) block extra-firm tofu, pressed
1½ teaspoons ground turmeric
1½ tablespoons vegan butter
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
½ teaspoon salt or black salt (kala namak), plus additional for serving, to taste
½ teaspoon ground black pepper, plus additional for serving, to taste
2 tablespoons sliced chives, for garnish
Hot sauce, for serving, to taste (optional)
- In a large pan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the bell pepper, onion, and garlic, and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the bell pepper and onion are tender.
- Using your fingers, crumble the tofu into the pan.
- Add the turmeric, vegan butter, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper to the tofu and veggies and mix thoroughly. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly mixed and heated. If you like, top the scramble with additional salt and pepper, sliced chives, and hot sauce.
Friendly Suggestion: This is a great recipe for when you want to clean out your refrigerator. Feel free to add extra veggies like spinach, asparagus (cut into 1-inch pieces), cherry tomatoes, chopped mushrooms, or whatever you have on hand. This is also a great way to add color and nutrition to the dish.
You can get amazing recipes like this and more with The Friendly Vegan Cookbook. I’ve been vegan since 2015 and have learned eating plant-based is anything but boring. If you know me in real life, you know my meals are pretty dang good!
I love the cozy vibes this book has and how they’ve thought of every way to help you make these recipes. There’s even a “tip/notes” section at the end of every recipe, so you can leave little reminders for yourself!
P.S. Here are my favorite tips for saving money on groceries.
- Make sure to sign up for Ibotta for cash back on groceries (cash back on healthy foods like fruits and veggies!)
- Rakuten for cash back on online shopping on any kitchen gadgets (you’re missing out if you don’t already use Rakuten)
- Honey to get the best coupon discounts (so you never have to search the internet for the best coupon code)
Have you ever made tofu scramble?
Like this post? Share it!
Free Printable Resource Library
Join 10,000 others to get access to 20+ free printables related to achieving financial freedom, starting a side hustle, and other fun goodies!