One of the best things you can do for yourself is investing in yourself and your future.
Do you want to be more confident? Make more money? Move up in your career or start a side hustle? Do you want to treat your body better? You can do all of these things. All you have to do is get started.
In 2019, I invested in myself by enrolling in a personal development course and hiring a life coach. I also invested in myself by setting up my 401k and Roth IRA with Vanguard and maxing out my accounts. This is all to create the best future for me.
You can do the same.
Here are 6 ways to invest in yourself to create an amazing 2020!
1. Personal Development
Like I mentioned earlier, I enrolled in a personal development course this year called Design Your Dream Life.
Design Your Dream Life is a personal development course that seriously changed my life.
I used to have a lot of issues with confidence, my appearance, weight, and relationships. I would put off goals for months or years. Now I complete goals in a timely manner instead of letting myself down.
This course was created by certified life coach Natalie Bacon and I owe a lot of the work in this course to helping me with weight loss, growing my business, growing my relationships, and helping create my dream life.
“Discover exactly how to become a BOSS at mastering your mindset, emotions, productivity, time management, goal-setting, and habits.”
I know it sounds cheesy, and I used to think life coaching and personal development was a bunch of “woo woo” crap, but I’ve totally changed my mind on this and it’s because I’ve seen the results for myself.
11 topics are covered: mindset, emotions + feelings, self-love, problems, overwhelm, productivity, time management, goal setting, habits, and a lot more.
There is A LOT of content in this course (95 lessons total)
Design Your Dream Life is perfect for people who:
- feel stuck, overwhelmed, or busy
- improve time management and production
- a go-getter who wants to increase her focus
- love personal development
- want to design a specific plan for your life
You can learn more about Design Your Dream Life here.
Design Your Dream Life is 100000% worth the investment. You can devote the entire year of 2020 on this course alone and see massive results in your life. That’s exactly what I did and my life is COMPLETELY different than just 2 years ago.
If you’re on a tighter budget, Dream Year is another great option to start working on personal development.
Once I started growing my mindset, my relationships, business, and life got so much better. Work on changing your thoughts, feelings, and you’ll naturally change your actions, creating your dream life. I know this because I did this myself.
If you need help changing your life, completing your goals, and creating your dream life, I also recommend Dream Year.
Dream Year is a guide all about achieving your goals and feeling good while doing it.
In Dream Year, you get:
- 190+ pages of content
- Part I includes lessons that teach you how to master your mind and achieve your goals
- Part II includes 3 workbook templates
- Part III includes extras that will help you succeed
- There are lessons on goal setting, failure, planning, burnout, time management, and productivity
- The templates can be used for yearly, monthly, and weekly planning
- This is the formula for mastering your mind so you achieve your goals and feel better long-term
2. Career & Side Hustles
So much can change in just 1 year. You can change careers, start a new side hustle, move up in your current job, or simply create more happiness where you work now.
A couple of years ago, I was working at a super stressful job, finishing college, and felt stuck. I was about to graduate college but felt like my life was going nowhere.
I decided to make a huge *drastic* change and quit my job and put my full-time effort on this blog. Just a year later, I almost hit six-figures and have met so many amazing women (and men) through this blog who are paying off debt and starting an online biz.
It’s amazing how much can change in just a few months.
Do you want to start a side hustle? Do you want to work online? Do you want to feel happier at your job? You can do all of these things. What’s holding you back?
Questions to ask yourself:
- What area of work are you interested in it?
- Do you want to work in-person or work from home?
- Do you want to be a freelancer or be your own boss?
Once you know the answers to those questions, you can move forward from there.
Are you not sure where to start on creating a profitable blog? I recommend checking out this course roadmap to figure out where you should get started first!
- Side Hustle: From Idea To Income In 27 Days
- 16 Real Work From Home Jobs That Make Up To $75,000 A Year
Are you saving for your future? Have you started saving for your retirement? Over 50% of millennials have $0 saved in their retirement. If that’s you, get started today.
I didn’t start saving for retirement until I was 26, but now I’m contributing the max amount to both of my accounts. You can catch up. If you’re in your twenties, this is the BEST time to get started.
I understand that talking about retirement sounds overwhelming and intimidating because it did for me, too. What I did was simply get started. I started reading books and took it one day at a time.
Here are my favorite books all about retirement:
- The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book on Value Investing
I also recommend reading these articles:
4. Mental Health
Mental health is something that impacts every person in the world. Fortunately, there is a lot being done here and people are becoming more transparent about this in the world.
What if you want to improve your mental health today? You can:
- Find a physical activity you enjoy
- Talk to someone (a friend, family member, therapist, life coach, etc.)
- Eat healthy meals & take care of yourself
- Start a new hobby that helps you relieve stress
- Take a bath and use essential oil bath salts
I also realize that the list I’ve shared above makes it seem really simple to improve your mental health when it’s not always that easy. I get it. These are just a few things that *may* help.
Here are some great resources for mental health:
5. Physical Health
Are you wanting to lose weight, lower your blood pressure, or simply feel better in your body? You can do this.
A few years ago I lost over 60 pounds and it changed my life.
Physically, I feel so much better. Eating healthier and working out is so much more than your physical appearance. It’s how you feel every day and how you’ll feel in your future.
Favorite resources to increase physical health:
- Use Healthy Wage to increase motivation to get more physical activity in your day
- Read the Lean and Clean Meal Plan (comes with a meal and workout plan)
- 10 Ways To Lose Weight At Home For Free
- How To Achieve Your New Years Resolution
- 9 Easy Ways To Lose A Pound A Week (That Actually Work)
You can invest in your physical health by finding a physical activity you enjoy, eating healthy meals and buying groceries that may cost a little more. This may be a gym membership, a personal trainer, a meal plan, etc. It’s honestly worth investing in your physical self because you only have 1 body. You should feel great in it.
6. Hobbies & Creativity
Do you find yourself going to work and then coming home to watch television until you fall asleep?
Or maybe it’s the exact opposite, you have little to no time at all for yourself and you’re constantly spending time taking care of your family.
Even if you only 30 minutes for yourself, using that time doing something that makes you happy is so important.
Some great hobbies are:
- crocheting (I learned via YouTube)
- learning a new language (I use Duolingo)
- cooking ($5 Meal Plan is perfect for people who want to eat healthy, save time and money, and get meal plans straight to you)
I started crocheting and it’s been the best self-care ever. I had no idea a hobby would increase my happiness so much and decrease my stress.
Read more: 20 Best Hobbies That Can Also Make You Money
What are your goals for 2020? How do you want to invest in yourself? Share in the comments!
Like this post? Share it!