I'm sure you're thinking, “Jeez Alexis, you sure move a lot!”
Yeah, I can totally admit that I do. I might even have a problem with being indecisive when it comes to certain things, but I can admit it.
After a little less than a year of living in the suburbs of Chicago, I decided to take off and move in with my sister and brother-in-law in their new home in western Colorado. This decision came pretty easy to me, as a number of factors motivated me to do so.
Why I decided to leave Chicago:
1. I was not living in the actual city of Chicago, which I should've done originally…but if I would've done that, my bills might've been about 2x-3x more than living in the suburbs.
2. Bills, bills, bills. Being in college, living in a bit more of an expensive city/state and having things break down on me weren't so much fun.
3. I am finishing my bachelor's online and at an accredited school based in Columbia, MO. I am participating in one of their online degree programs and have less than 2 years left. This will allow me to work on my online business more, and travel a ton more as well.
4. It never felt right, or like home. That was the biggest reason I left and I'm happy I gave it 8 months before taking off, so I was really able to figure out if I was happy or not.
5. Although I had a lot of family living in the Chicago area, I truly missed living and being near my sister and brother-in-law. I became very close to them when I moved in with them in St. Louis a few years ago. They welcomed me into their Colorado home, so I couldn't pass it up.
I made it to Colorado last week, and I am beyond happy with my decision. I live near all kinds of different landscapes and the mountains and canyons are definitely something I can get used to. I've never been surrounded by such beauty. Whenever I look outside my window, I feel like I'm at a hotel and on vacation.
I'm all settled into my new home in Colorado and have already met a few people online that live in the area through Couchsurfing, Instagram, and other social media outlets. If you've been following my blog for awhile, you would know that I am leaving for a 2-3 month trip in South America on May 15th. I am extremely excited, but also a bit sad that I'm already leaving Colorado after only being here a couple weeks.
If you are a new reader, here is a little info to update you. I am departing May 15th to take a 2-3 month volunteer trip in Cuzco, Peru. I will be volunteering at a special needs orphanage and also volunteer in the homes of kids who have special needs. Not only that, but I will be traveling around the country of Peru and hitting up the most visited landmarks. You can read some of my posts about this below:
- IVHQ – Volunteer Abroad Details
- How I’m Getting Ready For Peru
- Going to Cusco, Peru Summer 2015
- Leaving for South America in 1 Month + How I’m Preparing For My Departure
Like this post? Please share it and spread the word!
Get exclusive access to the free resources!
Join 5,000 others to get access to 20+ free printables related to budgeting, traveling, and meal planning with new prints updated weekly.