Teaching English has become quite popular in mainstream media lately, and for good reason.
You get to work at home, which means you can travel freely and set up your own schedule, and you get to work at a job that is both rewarding and exciting.
If teaching is a job you currently enjoy or think you would enjoy, keep on reading! 🙂
- How I Made $5,047 in August 2017 From Blogging
- 16 Real Work From Home Jobs That Pay Up To $75,000 A Year
VIPKID is an online service geared toward teaching English to children in China with the typical age of a child between 4-12 years old. The company offers the student a fully immersive one-on-one English learning experience.
Though there are several platforms out there to teach English, none of them can even compare to VIPKID.
Benefits of working for VIPKID
- Lesson plans and course material ALL provided
- Earn $18-$22 per hour from home, saving money on transportation costs to work, and time
- Learn about the Chinese culture
- Join a dedicated and passionate community
Check out the video below by real VIPKID teachers!
- “VIPKID is an amazing opportunity for teachers who, like myself, had to take a hiatus for whatever reason, or even for those teachers that want a little extra income on the side.” Donna D.
- “The community of teachers all around the world means that there is always someone who is going through what you're going through as you prepare for your lessons.” – Rachel
VIPKID FUN FACTS:
VIPKID has a teacher retention rate of 95% AND a student retention rate of 95%. That means almost all students and teachers are staying with the company (which I would say, means good things). P.S. Kobe Bryant is an investor in the company, which usually means good things as well.
Secondly, VIPKID is known for having the best students. Students that actually want to learn and will make your teaching experience enjoyable for both of you.
Also, if you're interested in learning more about China, the company offers training in both the Chinese language and the culture.
As far as payment goes, it's not unknown for a teacher to make a livable income off VIPKID. Last July, the highest paying teacher made $9,000 (yes, in 1 month).
One teacher made over $75,000 in 2016 from VIPKID.
VIPKID has also informed me that they're definitely in need of English teachers as their registered users have surpassed the 500,000 mark (omg!), with close to 100,000 paying students.
P.S. Twice a year, VIPKID teachers get a chance to win a trip to the Headquarters in Beijing.
This job is perfect for
- Someone who wants to be location independent, meaning you can work anywhere in the world
- Anyone who has a passion for teaching
- Enjoys working with other cultures
- Wants to make extra money
This job is not for
- Someone who does not have time to commit to a part-time job
- Someone who doesn't enjoy teaching
- Someone who doesn't enjoy working at home or on a computer
- Someone who doesn't enjoy working with children
- Eligibility to work in the US or Canada
- Bachelor's degree in any field
- Minimum 1 year of traditional teaching experience OR the equivalent in Mentoring, Tutoring, Alternative education, Coaching, Supervising, Pastors, Church Leaders, Nursery School Assistants, etc.
Don't have a bachelor's degree? Check out Magic Ears here, a company similar to VIPKID that does NOT require a bachelors degree.
- Teachers are paid according to the number of classes finished.
- Pay starts at US $14-$18 an hour. However, there are incentives for each and every lesson, which means a typical service fee ranges from US $14-$22 an hour.
- Paid between 10th and 15th of each month.
- Teachers will be evaluated for a raise at the renewal point.
What is the application process like?
How to be successful in landing a job at VIPKID
After registering and applying here, prospective VIPKid teachers in major cities across the US may participate in an exclusive coaching day led by top VIPKid mentors. Here's what is included:
- Company Overview: Learn more about this fast-growing company and how we are making a global impact. VIPKID has over 15,000 teachers in our community and you will see first hand what its like to be a VIPKID teacher.
- Skill-Based Practice: Get hands-on practice with key skills for teaching ESL online. This includes Total Physical Response, Energy, Phonics, Student Output, and Appropriate Language. We will also practice pacing, & reward systems.
- Demo Lesson: Get individualized attention from VIPKID teachers and practice with your Demo Lesson. Record a 10 min demo using our teaching platform and curriculum.
Do I need to create my own curriculum?
“No, VIPKID curriculum team has already designed materials for every class. However, teachers must prepare for class by reviewing the class materials beforehand. Teachers may review class materials in the classroom on the teacher portal 6-12 hours in advance.” – VIPKID
I don't currently work for VIPKID, but once I finish my bachelor's degree, I plan on applying to work with them. I have many friends that are working for VIPKID and have nothing but good things to say. 🙂
Do you currently teach English? Are you interested in this kind of opportunity?
Like this post? Pin it!
How To Start A Profitable Blog - FREE Email Course
Over the next 7 days, I'll teach you everything you need to know, including how to create your own blog from scratch, essential blogging tools, how to monetize your blog, grow a loyal audience, and more. Join now!