One year ago, I started blogging full-time and now make a steady $10,000 a month from it.
I've managed to double, and almost triple my income the past several months, which is why blogging is so awesome. I even paid off my student loans when I graduated solely from blogging income.
A lot of people aren't sure where to start when it comes to blogging. Creating a blog is much easier than you think, so don't feel intimidated by it! 🙂
Below is a step by step tutorial on creating a blog. I'll be covering all of the topics that I wish I'd known about when I started blogging.
Why you should NOT get a “free blog” (you must go self-hosted if you want to make a real income off of your blog)
- You'll have less say on your blog. You're limited to very few options with a free blog as far as upgrading your blog and using plugins.
- Your domain name will look ugly (ex. www.FITnancials.blogspot.com).
- Difficult to make income off your blog as advertising is limited.
- Advertisers and companies are less likely to work with you.
- Your blog could be deleted at any time (happened to my sister).
You do NOT need to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars starting out as a new blogger.
It's actually really affordable, and I'll break it all down below.
How To Start A Blog From Scratch
1. Create and register a domain
You'll want to get started by creating a domain for your platform.
A domain is the address people will go to when they go to your blog. My domain name is FITnancials.
Brainstorm names that aren't crazy long, and or have words that sound like other words. I think it's best to make your domain name clever and clear as people can easily search it.
I've been hosted by different hostings and SiteGround by far has the best features.
If you're in any blogging groups, you already know by now that Siteground has become the new favorite by many bloggers. Siteground has an awesome support team that can be reached 24/7, highly dependable fast speed, and amazing security that will keep your site protected.
2. Choose a host for your blog
Creating a WordPress blog on SiteGround can be done with ease.
If you're in any blogging groups, you probably know by now that almost everyone is switching to Siteground.
I've never heard of anyone complain about Siteground, but I hear countless complaints from other hosts. Several of my online blogging friends have had their websites completely shut down on other hosting companies. You do NOT want that to happen.
There are 3 different hosting plans available on SiteGround. A beginner would do well with the StartUp plan (cheapest). If you feel the need to level up later on in your blogging career, you can.
3. Install WordPress
Siteground makes it really easy to install WordPress. Their support team is ready to install WordPress for you at no cost. After you purchase your hosting, the next page will show you how to install WordPress.
If you run into any problems, Siteground will help you and install it for you. All you have to do is contact them using the huge “Our Support” tab on Siteground.
Their support team is ready to answer questions 24/7 (which is seriously awesome!). The max wait time is 10 minutes for a question. So if you need help at 3 in the morning, you'll get a response asap!
4. Find a theme
Your theme is what your website will look like when someone visits your blog. I had my theme professional designed by someone, but when I first started out, all I did was upload a paid theme, and it was super easy and affordable.
There are tons of affordable and creative themes through Boutique Web Design Studios.
Once you choose your theme, you'll want to follow the steps below. (Steps numbered in photos below).
1. Go to appearance.
2. Click Add New.
3. Click upload theme.
4. Upload .zip file. You will receive this when you buy your theme.
a) You will get a download as soon as your payment is cleared. Save the download and then either leave the download zipped or UNZIP the folder. You'll get directions depending on where you buy your theme.
b) Open “Install Instructions' doc. Follow the steps for easy download. 🙂
5. Then you'll click “Activate”.
5. You're ready to get started!
Unfortunately, you can't go to college for blogging. However, there are tons of AMAZING courses out there that will tell you everything you need to know about blogging.
My #1 Recommendation For New Bloggers
If you've never taken a blogging course and aren't sure which one to choose, Blog With A Full-Time Job is IT.
Do you want to build a successful blog but have a full-time job?
Do you want a profitable blog but aren't sure what steps to take?
If so, you must check out Blog With A Full-Time Job.
This is THE course to take if you want a step by step plan to build a profitable blog.
Use code ALEXIS15OFF for 15% off!
Here are just a few of the things you'll get:
- A specific plan for launching, growing and monetizing your blog while working full-time
- The exact strategy to grow and monetize your blog to a six-figure blog
- Learn how to manage your mind, productivity, time management (all VERY important for working at home and running a successful business)
- How to set up a beautiful looking blog that is completely customizable
- How to write blog posts specifically for monetizing
- Sooo much more + tons of bonuses, templates, worksheets, etc.
Tips for a beginner blogger:
- Don't talk about yourself all the time. This is a huge regret of mine and I did it for many years. The truth is people want to know how they can make their life better. Write about topics that will improve someone else's life, and mix in a little of your own life at times, too.
- Post consistently on your blog. Don't expect readers to check back on your posts if you are writing once every few weeks or months.
- Start an email list early. Create free resources for your readers to sign up for your email.
- Break up paragraphs that are longer than 5 sentences.
- Be active on other social media channels. My favorites are in this order: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Google+.
- Start Pinterest NOW if you aren't already.
See? That wasn't so bad! If you have any questions, please feel free to email me or SiteGround for help.
Are you interested in starting a blog and becoming a full-time blogger? If so, check out my FREE 7-day course that will tell you everything you need to know, including how to create your own blog from scratch, essential blogging tools successful bloggers use, how to monetize your blog, grow a loyal audience, and so much more!
- Check out my Free Resource Library to get tons of free printables
- Join my Facebook Community where we share tips related to fitness, health, and more
- Check out my top recommendations for health, finance, and blogging
Related articles to read:
- 16 Real Work From Home Jobs That Pay Up To $75,000 A Year
- 7 Books To Become A Better and Happier You
- Healthiest Foods For A Tight Budget
Are you interested in starting a blog? What other questions do you have related to blogging?