One year ago, I started blogging full-time and now make a steady $10,000 a month from it.
A lot of people aren't sure where to start when it comes to blogging.
Creating a blog is much easier than you think, so don't feel intimidated by it! 🙂
Below is a step by step tutorial on creating a blog. I'll be covering all of the topics that I wish I'd known about when I started blogging.
Why you should NOT get a “free blog”
- You'll have less say on your blog. You're limited to very few options with a free blog as far as upgrading your blog and using plugins.
- Your domain name will look ugly (ex. www.FITnancials.blogspot.com).
- Difficult to make income off your blog as advertising is limited.
- Advertisers and companies are less likely to work with you.
- Your blog could be deleted at any time (happened to my sister).
You do NOT need to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars starting out as a new blogger.
It's actually really affordable, and I'll break it all down below.
You must go self-hosted if you want to make a real income off of your blog.
Domain: Your website's address. Ex. Mine is FITnancials.com.
Web Hosting: Where all of your website files are stored. This includes code, images, text, video, etc.
Website Platform: A web platform is a content management system. Ex. WordPress.
How To Start A Blog From Scratch
1. Choose a host for your blog
Finding a reliable host is one of the most important parts of building a great blog.
I personally recommend creating a blog on Bluehost. My other blog is hosted by Bluehost and it's been amazing! (In case you're wondering, my current blog is not hosted by Bluehost because of how much traffic I get to Fitnancials, but Bluehost is perfect for new bloggers and it's VERY affordable).
With Bluehost you get the following:
- Free domain
- Free SSL included (your site goes from http to https, which shows your site is secure)
- 1-Click WordPress install
- 24/7 support
Bluehost is powering over 2 million websites worldwide and if you have any questions, you can easily contact the Bluehost support team.
2. Choose a plan
With Bluehost, you can choose the basic plan with my special rate at $2.95 per month. Press select.
3. Create and register a domain
You'll want to get started by creating a domain for your platform.
A domain is the address people will go to when they go to your blog. My domain name is FITnancials.
Brainstorm names that aren't crazy long, and or have words that sound like other words.
I think it's best to make your domain name clever and clear as people can easily search for it.
With Bluehost, you can create and register a free domain or you can choose your domain later.
4. Check out
Under the “Account Plan”, choose the “Basic 36 Month Price” for $2.95 month. This comes out to only $106.20 for 3 years (which is CHEAP, that is roughly $33 per year).
5. Install WordPress
After you choose your password, you'll be sent to a page where there's a one-click WordPress set up. Super easy.
6. Find a theme
Your theme is what your website will look like when someone visits your blog. I had my theme professional designed by someone, but when I first started out, all I did was upload a paid theme, and it was super easy and affordable.
There are tons of affordable and creative themes through Boutique Web Design Studios.
Once you choose your theme, you'll want to follow the steps below. (Steps numbered in photos below).
1. Go to appearance.
2. Click Add New.
3. Click upload theme.
4. Upload .zip file. You will receive this when you buy your theme.
a) You will get a download as soon as your payment is cleared. Save the download and then either leave the download zipped or UNZIP the folder. You'll get directions depending on where you buy your theme.
b) Open “Install Instructions' doc. Follow the steps for easy download. 🙂
5. Then you'll click “Activate”.
5. You're ready to get started! 🙂
Now you can add posts, images, etc. So easy! Let me know if you run into any problems or contact the Bluehost support (who will be much more helpful than me since they know everything and are quick to respond).
P.S. My #1 Recommendation For New Bloggers
If you've never taken a blogging course and aren't sure which one to choose, Blog With A Full-Time Job is IT.
Do you want to build a successful blog but have a full-time job?
Do you want a profitable blog but aren't sure what steps to take?
If so, you must check out Blog With A Full-Time Job.
This is THE course to take if you want a step by step plan to build a profitable blog.
Use code ALEXIS15OFF for 15% off!
Here are just a few of the things you'll get:
- A specific plan for launching, growing and monetizing your blog while working full-time
- The exact strategy to grow and monetize your blog to a six-figure blog
- Learn how to manage your mind, productivity, time management (all VERY important for working at home and running a successful business)
- How to set up a beautiful looking blog that is completely customizable
- How to write blog posts specifically for monetizing
- Sooo much more + tons of bonuses, templates, worksheets, etc.
Tips for a beginner blogger:
- Don't talk about yourself all the time. This is a huge regret of mine and I did it for many years. The truth is people want to know how they can make their life better. Write about topics that will improve someone else's life, and mix in a little of your own life at times, too.
- Post consistently on your blog. Don't expect readers to check back on your posts if you are writing once every few weeks or months.
- Start an email list early. Create free resources for your readers to sign up for your email.
- Break up paragraphs that are longer than 5 sentences.
- Be active on other social media channels. My favorites are in this order: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Google+.
- Start Pinterest NOW if you aren't already.
- Check out my Free Resource Library to get tons of free printables
- Join my Facebook Community where we share tips related to fitness, health, and more
- Check out my top recommendations for health, finance, and blogging
Related articles to read:
- 16 Real Work From Home Jobs That Pay Up To $75,000 A Year
- 7 Books To Become A Better and Happier You
- Healthiest Foods For A Tight Budget
Are you interested in starting a blog? What other questions do you have related to blogging?