On my blog, I often talk about finding work from home jobs.
What if you already enjoy your current job, but wish you could do it all from home?
There are many perks to working from home that benefit both businesses and the employees.
Below are tips to help you when talking to your boss. This may seem scary, but it's totally worth a shot!
1. Your boss benefits from this, and so do you
When asking your boss about taking your work home, make sure to mention the following:
- Employees who work from home are generally more productive according to a Stanford study
- Boss can reduce office space, which means your boss saves money on office space
- Less commute time, which means you get more work done
- Technology like Skype or Facetime makes it easy for you to have meetings with your boss
2. Ask to work from home 1 day per week
Your boss may feel fearful or hesitant about letting you work from home.
To dissipate that fear, ask your boss to let you do a test run, and work from home 1 day per week.
Once your boss sees you getting all of your work done (and maybe even a lot more!), they'll be a lot more comfortable letting you work from home.
Tip: Do you want to start a successful and profitable blog? Check out my FREE 7-Day Blogging Course that will give you a strong foundation to start!
3. Figure out how often you want to work from home
If you don't want to work from home 100% of the time (I totally get it!), ask your boss for 1-2 days per week.
There are jobs in the world where being at the workplace is necessary, but not 100% of the time. Paperwork, computer work, and phone calls can all be done from home in many situations.
Your work may be more comfortable letting you work from home 1-2 days a week, versus working 100% at home, especially in the beginning when you first request this.
4. Be available at ALL times during work hours
Your boss needs to believe that you will be just as available at home as if you were in the office.
Make sure your phone has sound on at all times, and be ready to come into work if your boss needs you.
5. Make productivity a priority
Working from home is amazing, but some people find it difficult to stay on task. To ensure you don't have this problem, I recommend the following:
- Create a dedicated workspace away from electronics, kids, etc.
- Create a to-do list the night before
- Schedule meetings ahead of time, just as you would in a regular office setting
- Take advantage of Google Calendar (free and user-friendly)
- Wake up and work the same hours you would work at the office. (ex. start work at 9AM, break at 11AM, work from 12-5pm).
- Log your work hours in a free clock in clock out app
Do you have a hard time with productivity, time management, goal setting, and other healthy habits? Natalie Bacon's Design Your Dream Life Academy has been life-changing for me. If you're a personal development fanatic like me, you NEED to go through this amazing course. My mindset has gone through a total transformation because of Design Your Dream Life, and it's boosting my business income, relationships, and happiness overall. 🙂 Use code ALEXIS15OFF for 15% off!
6. Less sick days
Study after study has shown that employees who go into a workplace setting call in for more sick days versus people who work from home.
And for the employees who are sick but still come into work, they risk the chance of getting everyone else sick, which makes even more people lose work time and productivity.
Related articles to read:
- 16 Real Work From Home Jobs That Pay Up To $75,000 A Year
- 7 Books To Become A Better and Happier You
- Healthiest Foods For A Tight Budget
Make sure to come prepared when talking to your boss about this. Make sure to mention all of the benefits to working from home, how you're more than willing to do a test run of 1 day per week, and how money (less office space) and the environment (gas) can be reduced to help everyone at the business.
If you don't want to work from home, I totally get it! Sometimes I really miss the work environment, which is why I recommend visiting co-working spaces. These entrepreneurial spaces are popping up all over the world as jobs move online. Even my super small town in Colorado has two co-working spaces!
Do you want to work from home? Check out these jobs!
1. Teaching English online
Teaching English online is a great way to make income at home, while on your own schedule.
You're also helping people learn English, which gives them the ability to talk to over 1.5 billion people around the world.
That’s pretty amazing when you think about it! VIPKID pays up to $25 per hour, and the entire curriculum is provided for you.
2. Flipping Items
A flipper is someone who flips products for profit. My friend Melissa, of Flipper University, created a guide that teaches people her secrets and strategies for reaching over $100k in sales after their first year of full-time flipping.
She even created a course called Flipper University that teaches students how to become a successful flipper. Melissa says her students can expect to make $500-$2,500 per month in their first year.
Becoming a bookkeeper has several benefits, such as low startup costs, high profit, freedom to work remotely, and plenty more. As a bookkeeper, you can expect to earn an average of $62 per hour.
Students of Bookkeeper Business Launch have been saying, “Got my first client 6 months ago and my second client recently. With 2 clients I am earning over $24k a year. It takes time but it is so worth it!” – Jessica Banks, Bookkeeper Student
Click here to get access to a free, 3-part video series that'll reveal the keys to success in the bookkeeping industry.
4. Facebook Ad Manager
Did you know you can become a Facebook Ads Manager for businesses and make an extra $1,000 to $2,000 a month?
You don't need a website or prior experience to do this. You can even learn how to become a Facebook Ads Manager in less than 28 days with the Facebook Side Hustle Course.
Check out the testimonials here and see people who are making up to $10,000 per month doing this.
- Check out my Free Resource Library to get tons of free printables
- Join my Facebook Community where we share tips related to fitness, health, and more
- Check out my top recommendations for health, finance, and blogging
Do you wish you worked from home?
Like this post? Pin it!