It’s pretty hard to think about getting some shut eye when you’re trying to figure out how you’ll pay the bills, but sleep is vital to your financial success. Scientists have been studying how the lack of sleep effects the body for several years now. Common findings have determined that when you get a good night’s sleep you are promoting healthy function of the brain and the metabolism while also regenerating muscles. As a result, failure to get enough sleep at night can have the opposite effect.
Sure, it might seem like a good idea to burn the midnight oil so that you can tackle more work in a day, but eventually, that mentality will catch up to you. Sleep deprivation can take a significant economic toll on your health and thus your career. Don’t believe it?
Check out some of these findings below, and see if you don’t jump at the chance to find the most comfortable mattress at a mattress store, one like thebeddingmart.com, and sleep for a few days.
· Lack of Sleep Leads to Sluggish Thinking – When you’re not getting enough sleep at night, it can cause you to lose IQ points. Based on a study conducted by the University of California-Berkeley, students who were deprived of sleep had difficulty completing basic tasks. Not only did the students face a drop in IQ, but they also noticed a decrease in emotional intelligence. Obviously, a drop in intelligence or the ability to complete basic financial tasks could result in ruin.
· Lack of Sleep Causes Poor Decision Making – Part of managing your finances effectively is knowing how to make the sound, important decisions in a timely fashion. When the brain has not had time to rest, however, it generates this “fog” which makes it hard to focus. Naturally, when the brain is struggling to focus, selecting the easiest answer too quickly stop the stress of thinking is common. This could essentially mean making a financial decision that ultimately will not benefit you in the long run.
· Lack of Sleep Creates Poor Job Performance – How many times have you found yourself asleep at the desk because you were up late the night before? Well, keeping up this trend could quickly cause you to lose your job. When you’re not getting enough sleep at night you are essentially decreasing your cognitive abilities to process information, you’re losing concentration, and you’ll have trouble remembering things. No matter what type of career you have, if you’re unable to process basic requests, concentrate on a project, or process information provided unto you, chances are you’re going to be at the unemployment line really soon.
· Lack of Sleep Ruins Overall Health – At the end of the day, if you’re not the best version of yourself physically and mentally, you’re going to lose money. Those who do not get enough sleep at night typically find that their overall health is impacted. High blood pressure, diabetes, moodiness, and increased risks for strokes and physical injuries are likely. Naturally, the more time you spend out of work for health issues, the less time you spend making money.
What Should You Do?
If you’re having difficulties sleeping, whether it’s because you’re depressed about debt or due to some other life happenstance, the best thing you can do for yourself is trying to calm down and get some rest. Here are a few quick tips to getting more rest at night.
· Turn off disturbances at a reasonable time – make sure the kids are in bed. Turn off the lights and the television. Doing so at a reasonable time will allow your body to calm down and rest.
· Take a bath or hot shower – a nice warm bath or hot shower is the perfect way to unwind after a stressful day and get ready for bed. Make a point of taking one right before bed.
Sleep might seem like something you can do when you have the time, but the truth is, lack of sleep could potentially ruin your life. From making poor financial decisions to poor work performance, and increased health risks, failing to go to sleep has proven to be determinantal to many. Work on getting into the habit of sleeping 8 hours per night and ask your doctor for help if you need it.