As many of you may already know, I recently decided to partake on a year of drinking absolutely no alcohol.
I came up for many reasons of why I decided to embark on the challenge, but I also wanted to see what good it can do to the human body.
I feel much better overall mentally and physically, but I wanted to dig deeper and find out what the benefits of drinking absolutely no alcohol can do to the body.
1. A study done from Healthline.com said the small group in their study had a decrease in weight, cholesterol, glucose, and liver fat.
The participants overall got more sleep and had better work performance.
They also mentioned that the participants in this study felt less social overall. I found this to be a problem for me, so I decided to involve myself in rock climbing, Crossfit, knitting groups, and more.
2. Increased mental clarity and better moods will become a normal thing for you.
You'll be able to work harder and longer because of the brain not being nearly as foggy or working as hard to stay on task. Alcohol being a depressant can actually make your mood worse overall, making your heart work harder and more strenuously.
3. Binge drinking can cause your brain to shrink, especially if it is done during the high school and college years when the brain is still developing.
This can eventually increase the chances of dementia later on in life as well.
4. Refraining from alcohol can actually boost your fertility.
If you are trying to get pregnant, this can greatly increase your chances.
5. Although many people resort to alcohol to make them have a better mood overall, drinking can actually do the exact opposite.
It can lead to bouts of extreme emotion, making anger and sadness seem much more severe. This can become troublesome in relationships and even in friendships.
6. Last, but not least, hangovers will no longer be an issue and extreme dehydration will no longer affect your life.
You'll no longer spend days sprawled out on the bathroom floor hoping you'll be alive the next day.
Now you can spend your days doing something productive, like reading a good book or learning a new language.
Lastly, I want to mention that there are studies that say drinking a glass of wine a night can actually have benefits to the human body, so perhaps I will speak about this in another post.
I am not trying to pressure anyone to quit drinking, but simply want to share with all of you the benefits of taking a break or abstaining from it completely.
- Check out my Free Resource Library to get tons of free printables
- Join my Facebook Community where we share tips related to fitness, health, and more
- Check out my top recommendations for health, finance, and blogging
Related articles to read:
- 16 Real Work From Home Jobs That Pay Up To $75,000 A Year
- 7 Books To Become A Better and Happier You
- Healthiest Foods For A Tight Budget
Have you ever taken a hiatus from drinking? How did you benefit from it?
Like this post? Please share it and spread the word!
Get exclusive access to the free resources!
Join 5,000 others to get access to 20+ free printables related to budgeting, traveling, and meal planning with new prints updated weekly.