In the U.S. alone, Americans spend almost 700 billion at retail stores during the holiday season.
Here are 10 helpful tips and strategies to use to save money this Christmas season!
1. Get cash back with Ibotta
Ibotta is a free app that gives you cash back for making purchases on things like groceries, clothes, toiletries, and much more.
It's silly not to use Ibotta if you're a regular grocery shopper and also have to buy things like clothes, toiletries, and pretty much anything else you'd find at a store like Walmart or Amazon.
If you sign up now, you can get $10 in your account by using my link here.
2. Take advantage of Cyber Monday and other online deals.
Cyber Monday almost always has the best deals an online retailer will have all year long.
You're likely to find websites offering up to 80% off original prices. Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, Target, and other big-name companies will have amazing deals all day long.
Tip: Trim helps you negotiate cable and internet bills, analyzes and gives you spending updates via text, and will find and cancel unwanted subscriptions for you. Trim users saved over $1,000,000 last month alone.
3. Get an Amazon Prime membership.
Having an Amazon membership has so many benefits.
Giving the gift of an Amazon membership is highly recommended, too, since the individual can get the benefits listed below.
Benefits of having an Amazon Prime membership:
- free 2-day shipping – great for last minute shopping, unlimited deliveries no matter what the size is, same day delivery on over a million items in certain cities, and tons more
- instant unlimited video streaming
- over 2 million songs
- unlimited access to over a thousand books
- free unlimited photo storage
- + tons more
4. Find ways to make additional cash.
Making or saving an extra $50 can help buy a couple gifts or even more than that if you find good deals.
Here are some other articles that can teach you to save more money each month of the year.
- 10 Ways To Cut Your Monthly Expenses – By following the tips in this post, you can save money all year long and have more money by the end of the year for gifts.
- 10 Budget Travel Tips – Find out how to save money every time you travel, especially during the travel season.
- 10 Ways To Save Money At The Grocery Store – Learn how to save money every time you go grocery shopping. Saving $10+ each time you go shopping can add up to over a $1000 or more at the end of the year.
5. Take advantage of Pinterest.
Pinterest has thousands of DIY projects to choose from for the holiday season.
All you have to do is type in “DIY” in the search bar and a bunch of different projects will come up.
Type in “DIY gifts” and you'll get projects that are geared toward your specific needs. Pinterest is addicting, warning you now. =)
Related: 10 Gifts For The Food Lover
Tip: Are you overwhelmed by finances? Are you sick of managing 6 six money apps? Cinch takes care of everything all in one place. Cinch monitors your credit score, if you have missed payments or unauthorized use, to how much insurance you need, and a lot more.
6. Answer surveys.
Answering surveys are such an easy way to make money online in the comfort of your own home.
This can be done pretty much anywhere with internet service, too.
A few of my favorite survey sites are:
7. Get cash back on online shopping.
Ebates will give you cash back on online shopping you do.
Ebates will benefit anyone who shops online and wants to make extra money. If you regularly shop online, you might as well use Ebates because it's so easy to use.
Who doesn't like cash back?
- Shop through Ebates at your favorite stores
- Earn cashback on purchases
- Receive money back
8. Make a list and stick to it.
Making a list and simply sticking to the list is one of the easiest things a person can do to save money during the holidays.
We often tend to veer off the list and buy more than we need, when that is not necessary at all.
People don't need more “stuff” to clutter up their homes.
9. Always check online discount apps such as RetailMeNot.com.
Before stopping at the mall or any store, download the RetailMeNot app on your phone and type in the store you are visiting in the search bar.
A few different coupon codes should pop up, giving you different options to save money.
There's almost always a coupon code for a store, so make it a duty to check the app before entering the story.
So many stores given student discounts, so be sure to ask the store if they give discounts before purchasing anything.
Lots of restaurants give out student discounts, which is awesome for any broke college student (which is most of us, I think!).
Tip: Cushion is an app that refunds bank and credit card fees. You can expect refunds on things like late fees, overdraft fees, monthly service fees, account maintenance fees, ATM fees, credit card interest charges, late fees, and more!
10. Avoid the Buy One Get One Half Off Deal.
So often we think that buying a second item is saving us money.
What it's really doing is making us purchase more “things' and give more gifts than are actually necessary.
This deal is only good if you're honestly going to give the 2 gifts to 2 separate people.
You might even find a better deal by ditching the BOGO half off deal by going to a discount store and finding an item for 50% off.
Instead of paying full price for clothing, check out ThredUp, an online thrift store with thousands of items, both used and brand new for a fraction of the price!
Related: 10 Gifts For The Traveler
In a nutshell:
1. Get cash back with Ibotta.
2. Take advantage of Cyber Monday.
3. Use Amazon Prime.
4. Find ways to make addtional cash with side hustles.
5. Take advantage of Pinterest.
6. Answer surveys for extra cash.
7. Get cash back with Ebates.
8. Stick to your shopping list.
9. Always check discount apps.
10. Avoid certain deals and discounts.
- Check out my Free Resource Library to get tons of free printables
- Join my Facebook Community where we share tips related to fitness, health, and more
- Check out my top recommendations for health, finance, and blogging
Related articles to read:
- 16 Real Work From Home Jobs That Pay Up To $75,000 A Year
- 7 Books To Become A Better and Happier You
- Healthiest Foods For A Tight Budget
What are you doing to save money this holiday season?