I’m excited to finally share with you all how I’ve been working full-time at home. I started a blog 4 years ago, and just a few months ago I decided to take the leap and go full-time. This job has to lead me to so much happiness, a flexible schedule where I get to work when I’m the most inspired and has allowed me to
This job has to lead me to so much happiness, a flexible schedule where I get to work when I’m the most inspired and has allowed me to travel the world.
I’ve managed to double, and almost triple my income the past several months, which is why blogging is so awesome. At a regular job, I would get a raise once a year, but with blogging, I get constant raises from my hard work. I’m currently in college and working full-time at a job that doesn’t even feel like a job. I always knew that I wanted to work for myself and help as many people as I could. A blog allows me to do all of this, which is why I often encourage my friends and readers to create their own blog.
A lot of people aren’t sure where to start when it comes to blogging. Creating a blog is much easier than you would think. I’m going to create a step by step tutorial in the easiest way possible. I’ll be covering points that I wish I would’ve known when I started blogging.
First off, I want to let you know that it is possible to make money blogging, even if you are just starting out on your blog. I have many online friends that have just started blogging and are already developing an audience and income.
Are you ready? Let’s get started!
1. Create and register a domain
You’ll want to get started by creating a domain for your platform.
My domain name was inspired by my sister. I wanted to write about healthy living and saving money, so FITnancials evolved. Get it? Some people still ask me why the name is the way it is, so that’s why.
I’ve been hosted by different hostings and SiteGround has by far the best features. If you’re in any blogging groups, you already know by now that Siteground has become the new favorite by many bloggers. Siteground has an awesome support team that can be reached 24/7, highly dependable fast speed, and amazing security that will keep you protected.
SiteGround is really awesome because you can get your domain directly through them, which makes the process so much easier. They provide a 1-click installer and free transfer, as you can see below.
Just check this out:
2. Choose a host for your blog
Creating a WordPress blog on SiteGround can be done with ease.
There are 3 different hosting plans available on SiteGround, and I will cover all 3 below.
The StartUp Plan | $3.95/monthly
“The StartUp Plan gives you all the essential hosting features you need to accommodate a “just getting started” website or an existing average-size blog, personal, or business website. The StartUp Plan works well even for smaller online shops with a reasonable number of products. You will most probably outgrow this plan if you start attracting more than 10,000 unique visits per month on a regular basis.”
Here are all of the hosting features:
- Free Domain Name
- Free Website Builder
- cPanel & SSH Access
- Free Setup & Transfer
- 24/7 Technical Support
- SSD Storage
- Free Daily Backup
- 30 Days Money Back
- Unlimited Emails & DBs
- HTTP/2 Enabled Servers
- Free Let’s Encrypt SSLs
- Free Cloudflare CDN
The GrowBig Plan | $7.95/monthly
- unlimited websites
- 25,000 month visits
- all essential features listed above
- priority tech support
- supercacher for faster speed
- 1-year free wildcard SSL
- 30 backup copies available
The GoGeek Plan | $14.95/monthly
- unlimited websites
- 100,000 month views
- everything in StartUp and GrowBig
- geeky advanced features
- fewer accounts on the server
- free PCI compliance
- WordPress and Joomla staging
- one-click Git Repo Creation
- more power among user
SiteGround offers a 30-day money back guarantee, too!
It’ll cost you around $71 a year, which includes free domain registration, domain privacy, and hack alert monitoring. That comes to $5.90 a month, which is such a great deal!
Domain privacy and hack apart monitoring are optional, but I highly advise for them and this is why:
- Domain privacy will protect you from your personal information becoming public.
- HackAlart monitoring will regularly check your website daily and will immediately notify you if your website has been hacked or injected with malicious code.
Steps to start on Siteground:
1. Click the orange “Get Started” button on SiteGround’s page. (Get Started package is best if you’re just starting out, remember, you can upgrade later).
2. Register your name or sign up for a new domain.
3. Enter your payment information.
3. Secure your domain and hosting together
Related: Like I said earlier, if you go through Siteground, they will transfer it all for free.
4. Install WordPress
If you’re ready to start a WordPress blog on Siteground, keep on reading!
Siteground makes it really easy to install WordPress with their install wizard.
To install WordPress, all you have to do is access your customer area and it will ask you if you want to have WordPress preinstalled for your account. Then you click the proceed button. It’s seriously that easy!
Tips for a beginner blogger:
- Don’t talk about yourself all the time. This is a huge regret of mine and I did it for many years. The truth is people want to know how they can make their life better. Write about topics that will improve someone else’s life.
- Post consistently on your blog. Don’t expect readers to check back on your posts if you are writing once every few weeks or months.
- Start an email list early.
- Use visuals to break up texts.
- Be active on other social media channels. My favorites are in this order: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Google+.
- Start Pinterest NOW if you aren’t already. I receive 90%+ of my pageviews from Pinterest.
See? That wasn’t so bad! If you have any questions, please feel free to email me or SiteGround for help.
Are you interested in starting a blog? What other questions do you have related to blogging?
Beginner's Transformation Guide
Over the next 5 days, you'll learn how to eat healthy and exercise on a budget, why your health matters, and a way of thinking that helps people lose weight successfully.