As many of you might’ve read in earlier posts, I have decided to take a hiatus from drinking. I would ultimately like to quit drinking altogether because I can’t seem to just have one or two drinks and ending it there. I’m 21 years old and want to give up drinking altogether, and I’ve decided to take a break from it for awhile.
I am taking a break until I can figure out if I’m alright with just having a glass of wine and being able to stop there. Every time I go out and hangout with friends, I’m drinking way more than I should be and making crappy decisions. I’ve decided to write out a list of reasons on why I want to quit drinking so I can look back at it on the days when I feel like straying away from my goal.
1) First of all, for my health. I’ve recently been looking up what large amounts of alcohol do to the body. What exactly is a large amount of alcohol? Well a healthy amount of alcohol is 1 beer, or 1/3 ounce of hard liquor, or a small glass of wine. Alcohol affects all parts of the body and can especially affect the brain. This part scares me the most actually, because I’ve realized how foggy my mind has been.
2) My bank account. I spend SO much money on empty calories. I’ve learned I can have fun in ways that aren’t spent on liquids! I’m also always in such regret the next day because of how much money I’ve spent on buying myself and others drinks.
3) I won’t be such a lazy butt. The day after drinking is basically no day at all. If I don’t have to go to work, I’m usually sleeping the day away and getting absolutely nothing done.
4) No more hangovers. Done.
5) No more regrets of giving out my phone number to people I definitely don’t want to talk to the next day or at all. I’m so much friendlier when I’ve been drinking. (Obviously because it loosens you up.)
6) I’m already feeling more accomplished and feel like my natural energy is coming back. My mind feels less foggy and I also feel great about sticking to my goal.
7) I won’t make stupid decisions when I’m out. I went out the other night with no hard liquor whatsoever, and it was a life changing experience. It was definitely the most uncomfortable time of my life, but I also had a huge realization. I don’t need alcohol to feel good about myself and I definitely don’t enjoy being surrounded by people who are so drunk that they are trying to get in fights with everyone.
8) I can actually hold a real conversation that I’ll remember when I go out. Yes, it’s a bit hard talking to people that are a bit drunk and I quickly realized this, but it only gave me more motivation to refrain from drinking.
9) My skin and body will thank me.
10) I will feel happier than ever. I already feel better from taking this break. My overall goal is to never drink as much as I used to ever again. I don’t want to use the whole, I just turned 21 years old as an excuse. I don’t judge others for wanting to drink a lot or do whatever. Honestly, do whatever the hell you want, I don’t care. I just know I want to do this for me.
Do you have any advice/tips for me on my goal of refraining from drinking?